Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband Connect

This is a discussion on Broadband Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone. Good website. Wish I had looked here first. I was with Plusnet (Madasafish) for two years and they ...

chasman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Broadband Connect

Hello everyone. Good website. Wish I had looked here first.

I was with Plusnet (Madasafish) for two years and they were great.
      Got a big tv and then Sky+HD just last month.

I went for the Broadband package as it seemed a good deal with the phone etc.

Have been very disapointed with Sky customer service. Complained about the low speeds and they said that because I was not connected to the master socket I would never get full speed. Change microfilters, etc etc.
      Current transfer rates are about 20 kb/s in the evening. Can't watch iplayer, youtube - download updates for virus, spyware, etc.

I called them again and level 2 teccie explained about the traffic management. I did not know about this before I signed up for it.

I have therefore requested my MAC code as I shall be moving.

I sent them this by email, by the online form and also by post.

They explained about 8 day cancellation period but I explained taht the router had to be on for 10 before it was "optimised". This is unfair and unreasonable terms and unacceptable

To whom it may concern,

I have just been speaking with your staff on the telephone.

It is the fifth time I have called them in so many days. Twice I was cut off and twice no constructive assistance was provided.

The fifth time the lady on the end of the phone was sympathetic and I was advised to send an email.

The reason was because I was getting a buzzing noise on the telephone line after the Sky engineer fitted the HD Box and I was also getting low download speeds. File transfer rates for updates are at about 20 kb/s.

I was told to remove the HD Box from the telephone line and then plug it back in.

This made the buzzing noise go away.

I explained about the download speed and it was explained that there is 10 day bedding in period.

I called after 10 days as the speed was still unacceptably slow. I had tried to download an iTunes update but it just stopped working half way through. I have also tried to download the new Firefox and this did so at less than 20 kb/s and took over five minutes to download a 3Mb file.
      I tried YouTube and it took over 8 minutes to download a four minute clip.

I was told to try the test socket but my house does not have one and this would not speed up the signal significantly anyway. I was told to change the microfilters which I did. I was told to try another phone socket which I did. None of this made any difference.

I have had no issues with Plusnet (Madasafish) and Pipex who I was with before. The modems were plugged in to the same socket and in the same room as your modem is now and had the releavnt microfilters etc.

I was with Plusnet before and the speed was usually 600 kb/s and not the 20 or so I get from you.

This means that I should get much higher than what I am getting at the moment. I did a speed check on the BT Speedtest site - file attached - and it says the speed is below what is required for an effective connection.

The router status shows 6400 kbps but this is the connection speed and not the data transfer rate. The data transfer rate must be being throttled so this is misleading.

I was then advised that Sky have a traffic management policy which means that because you rent the equipment from BT the download speed should be no less than 600kb/s even though it is throttled from 5 pm to 12 am. And there is nothing you can do to change this. I was not aware of such a policy and if I knew about it and that it would reduce speeds on my connection to that below a dial up connection I would not have moved to Sky.

The download speed is not acceptable and nowhere near 600 kb/s as it will threaten the ability to effectively download windows updates, virus and anti spyware updates as well as media. So not only will the enjoyment of the internet be curtailed the security of my pc will also be under threat.

I have therefore requested my MAC code as I am not getting the level of service that I was told I would get. The product described is not of merchantable quality as required by the sale of goods act as it does not provide a reasonable level of download speed. A speed that is acceptable for normal surfing and regular program, system updates.

Once the service is moved to another ISP of my choice I will expect a full refund of the broadband charges made to my account as well as the cost of the phone calls made to your office. I will be happy to return your modem and cables.

This will also mean that I will be canceling the Sky Talk package and line rental with you.

I have noticed that the contract terms mention that 8 days is the time allowed for cancellation but if it takes 10 days for the router to bed in then this is unreasonable.

Thank you for reading my complaint and I look forward to hearing from you very soon.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Broadband Connect

Leave now before you get too annoyed...all you have to do is call and say you want your MAC code, they're not stopping anyone leaving

Sky Connect Broadband - Are you being slowed down?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

chasman
      Hi as IWasNotTheEnemy has pointed out there are many who have left have a look at leaving sky connect after 2 months!! there are thousands of posts on the connect package and information on various ISPs Broadband from 4.99 - Compare Best Broadband Deals, Packages & UK Broadband Providers any information needed just post here`s a another link that might help (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have had a look and none of them say if they do traffic shaping or not. can you suggest someone?

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

chasman
      HI look at this thread Leaving Sky especially the last post by GeneGenie all ISPs with Bt re-badged products have traffic shaping of a kind but do not throttle as Sky`s Traffic Management do. The reason Sky do not have enough Bandwidth for all the connect Customers and Sky`s sales team seem to be pushing the connect package which is not helping.

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

not all isps traffic manage, im with idnet and they dont do any of the sort and they use the bt re-badged product, they are expensive but that is because they pay bt the extra for the bandwith so whatever your line is capable of you will get simple as.

or as you mentioned you never had problems with plusnet when you was with them and they have always had good feedback for their service too.

just ring sky and ask for mac code, dont mention cancelling as if you do cancel before moving to the new provider it will take alot longer to set up with the new isp where as if you say you want the mac so you can migrate,doing it that way can be done in a day or less when setting up with the new isp.

good luck

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyconnectsufferer View Post
      not all isps traffic manage, im with idnet and they dont do any of the sort and they use the bt re-badged product,
      That's not what they say in their small print:- "Actual broadband download speeds can vary from below 2 Mbps during peak times, up to a maximum of 24 Mbps"

That said, they are nowhere near as bad as Sky Connect.

Link:- http://www.idnet.net/solutions/home/broadband/

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Thanks

well firstly your quote does not mention the word traffic manage anywhere in that sentence, idnet cant control congestion on the exchange,that is a bt issue.

i get occasional drops as in a few hours in a month here and there but in general including what would normally be the worst times on connect (which was saturday evening-sunday) im always getting my max speed which is 6.5meg.

and your second comment that they are nowhere near as bad as connect,well they aint bad period!, the only downside is its a pricey service but i was forced to pay sky 17 quid for connect anyway when i was with them at first so im only paying a few quid extra for a flawless service.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks peeps. i am now on plusnet!
      the broadband was changed on Thursday last week.
      since then I have had letters from sky saying in order to move i need a mac code - this letter was from mark anderson who sent me my mac code two weeks ago? sky are inconsistent. another one said i could not cancel because i was in a contract. i telephoned them saying i was writing to ofcom, trading standards and my mp about it. they told me to forget the letter. i said that if they tried to take money out fro broadband with the next tv payment i will cancel all sky direct debits and they can have the dish back.

i also sent them an email asking for my telephone charges to be refunded which they say they will but based on the bureaucratic mess that sky is i shall monitor.

speeds are back to normal now. the plusnet rep who helped me reconfigure my old router laughed when i said i was coming back to plusnet - she couldn't believe i had left them for sky.

oh, i got the 25 m and s voucher today!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It's just another example of people trying to save money (and I don't blame them) without doing research first. Glad you're sorted but if you'd found this site before moving you could've saved all the hassle!!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast