Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sky CTS telling the truth about DLM?

This is a discussion on Sky CTS telling the truth about DLM? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; (Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'll add a little input on the above) The problem is that too many ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky CTS telling the truth about DLM?

(Not to hi-jack this thread, but I'll add a little input on the above)

The problem is that too many tier 1s are just told to follow the call-flow guides to the letter. I remember when I was tier 1, I was told to 'leave my brain at the door' and I was getting 'trained' by moronic managers because I was getting pulled for not following the call flow guide on calls. Why should I restore someones' browser settings if he's getting 100% loss whilst pinging websites.

Yesterday, I had a customer cold transferred through without a ticket because the internet light was off. Had never worked since moving address and number. BB showed active, but there was a tag from wanadoo. Wanted to make sure and tone test him, but the landline handset needed charged. Told the customer I'd let him charge it and call back. Left specific instructions to simply tone test him and even left what to do whatever the outcome.

A couple hours later and there's a ticket raised to cst with a bunch of troubleshooting such as 'optimised browser' etc. I was speechless.

P.S. Swish only shows:

Trained in downstream speed: 1024 kbps
      Trained in upstream speed: 416 kbps
      Configured downstream speed: 1024 kbps
      Configured upstream speed: 416 kbps
      Max attainable rate down: 3072 kbps

(I think... can't believe I'm having difficulty remembering this and I still work for sky ha!)

I guess it's enough to see if someone is simply capped, though. If the trained in is at the configured, and the max attainable is higher then it's capped.
      Last edited by User05; 08-04-10 at 03:48 PM.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yep it happened while I was there too, "you must stick on script and follow mojo" trouble is that when some Tier 1 agents do that and don't actually look at the problem they get lost and do completely the wrong thing. I had to put right a few calls like your one User

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

yeh User05 thats all swish shows, it would be VERY VERY useful if T1 could see attenuation, snr, uptime, errors and whether the router has an ip address. sky should train T1 to understand what these mean and how to use them but if not they could at least make this info available to the T1 agents who do know what they are doing and could make use of the info

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

thanks for the T1 guys response's its interesting to know the story from the inside.

I would agree, it seems sky here have a lack of respect for both its tier1 staff and customers in having flow guides that involve clearing out browser's files, cookies etc. instead of proper troubleshooting. In fact I have never understood why companies have multiple tier support staff, why not just have all the staff trained properly in the first place.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrcol View Post
      In fact I have never understood why companies have multiple tier support staff, why not just have all the staff trained properly in the first place.
      Because it does not take the same level of qualification to check the router is actually plugged in and turned on as it does to make changes to the line and exchange settings.

Can you tell me any company that doesn't have a standard and higher pay grades dependant on their experience and knowledge???

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Because it does not take the same level of qualification to check the router is actually plugged in and turned on as it does to make changes to the line and exchange settings.

Can you tell me any company that doesn't have a standard and higher pay grades dependant on their experience and knowledge???
      they dont, this is why I said "companies".

I expect the vast majority of support staff if trained can do better than follow stupid scripts.

You have been disrepectful the same as sky, in affect you saying if someone takes the job with no qualifications they incapable of understanding the basics of adsl.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

all they need is a bit of training, would be no harm in training T1 to have some background knowledge on how everything works even if they are still going to have a script as a guideline. the problem is that would cost a few bob and sky dont really like spending money if they think they can get away with poor quality training.

there are alot of people in T1 who do simply follow a script and when they say "you need to move to the master socket" and the customer says "why?" the agent cant give a convincing answer because they dont know why.. they have a message on the screen that says the router must be in the master socket and for alot of T1 thats as far as their knowledge goes.

Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

The scripts are there for a good reason. Most people when they contact an ISP have no idea where the source of the problem may be, it may be their computer or anywhere. The point of the script is to lead a non-technicial customer through a series of checks designed to isolate parts ot their system, starting with ensuring that everything is plugged in an switched on and filters are in place. This can be carried out by less skilled staff and if necessary the problem can be passed along further up the food chain.

The script also imposes a standard level of support so that if the fault is passed on to the next level, they can be assured that a set of checks have already been carried out. Without the scripts this would not always be so and lead to a lot of duplication which causes even more customer disatisfaction.
      Last edited by Brian69; 10-04-10 at 06:02 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

I expect the vast majority of support staff if trained can do better than follow stupid scripts..
      Those "stupid scripts" ensure that certain basic things and common problems are checked for every call before being passed for further in depth testing by more experienced staff thus allowing them not to be bombarded with silly problems that can easily be weeded out.

You have been disrepectful the same as sky, in affect you saying if someone takes the job with no qualifications they incapable of understanding the basics of adsl.
      Not sure why you would find this disrespectful, qualifications are used throughout the world to indicate a level of knowledge, although if you read my reply, I did also state "standard and higher pay grades dependant on their experience and knowledge??? " so not just qualifications.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The call-flow guides aren't incorrect as such - in fact, they're fine in a black and white world. But, obviously once in a while a customer's situation will not satisfy the 'script' and some of the steps made redundant and the common sense approach has to be taken. I believe it should be followed as a guide line, not a script. If you can troubleshoot without it, then more power to you.

I know when I get a ticket through with generic notes of 'set-up checked' and the exact same order of steps found within the call-flow guide that I'll start right from the beginning and do it myself over again to make completely sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast