Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Novice user with slow upload speed

This is a discussion on Novice user with slow upload speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, just joined. I'm not the greatest with computers but this is doing my head in. For the last ...

Burney_cat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lochgelly
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Novice user with slow upload speed

Hi everyone, just joined. I'm not the greatest with computers but this is doing my head in. For the last two weeks or since my free 12 month line rental with Sky finished I have been experiencing slow upload of pages. I'm usually only on at the weekends but the internet is usually on all weekend (although not uploading pages the whole time, just the internet on). I've been looking at various possible reasons (Sky Broadband Call Centre wasn't much use, if any) for the slowness and have come across something to do with phone lines getting overloaded and also fair usage policy. My configured download is 7159k (?), my download is 1000kpbs and my upload is 359 kpbs.
      I'm on Sky connect that seems to have a 40GB download but we were on unlimited download when we joined approx 1yr and 6 mths ago.
      Long thread I know but I'm stuck, thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Novice user with slow upload speed

Burney_cat
      Hi as you say you have read about the fair usage policy did you also read about the traffic shaping 5pm till Midnight plus it happens all weekends.There are thousands of posts about the connect package you could do a Bt speed test you can do it from this link Bt Updated Speed Tester as the test is the only test Sky use for the connect package

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Novice user with slow upload speed

Lochgelly exchange is very small so it has very little chance of being enabled by Sky. How much are you paying? If you are paying the full 17, you should definitely move to another ISP as soon as possible. There are quite a few who would give you a decent connection for this price. If you are only paying a fiver, as many are, you would have to decide whether paying more for a decent connection is worth it. If you live in the village, you should have a good headline speed as none of the houses are very far from the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.