Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Downloading Freezing Connection

This is a discussion on Downloading Freezing Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been having a bit of an issue with my wireless connection that just recently came up when I bought ...

GaryG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Downloading Freezing Connection

I've been having a bit of an issue with my wireless connection that just recently came up when I bought my new laptop. Whenever I'm downloading anything on my laptop it seems to eat away at my connection and I can't do anything else online, either on this laptop or another wireless laptop in the house without stopping the download, my PS3 won't even connect to the network without the download being stopped! I never had this issue when I downloaded files on my desktop that is connected to my router, just when I download wirelessly.

My connection speed isn't the issue either, I have an "upto 20mb" connection, I can't get the full 20mb in this area though, I reach download speeds of around 1300kb/sec. I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop if that makes any difference, I doubt that matters though since it's my connection that's the issue. I've tried using various download managers, DAP, IDM, etc, still have the same issue.

I'm using the Sky Sagem F@ST2504 router. Anyone have any idea why downloading wirelessly is causing my entire wireless connection to freeze until I'm finished?

2. Advertisement
      GaryG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Downloading Freezing Connection

No one?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

What are you downloading and are you using a P2P/ torrent tool? It may just be you are flooding your upload bandwidth and that will impact your download. Post a set of stats from the router and someone can look at those and advise what you should do/ expect to get.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Try connecting a wire and see if that helps, wireless is a poor way to move data.