Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DLM training and downloads

This is a discussion on DLM training and downloads within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've just had Sky Unlimited activated at 4Mbps. Having checked my exchange's details, theoretically the line is capable of more ...

DeusXM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woolwich
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

DLM training and downloads

I've just had Sky Unlimited activated at 4Mbps. Having checked my exchange's details, theoretically the line is capable of more than 20Mbps and I'm only a mile away by longest possible route (only 600m as the crow flies!) so I'm assuming that with DLM training over the next 10 days, I'll be seeing my line speed increase.

What I want to know is, if I'm using the line heavily at the same time (say, for streaming HD content from iPlayer etc.), will this adversely affect the results of DLM training to believe that my line is slower than it actually is?

Apologies if this has already been posted and answered, I did search but couldn't find anything.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DLM training and downloads

No, the more you use the connection the better in fact. Maybe you would like to post your stats and we will let you know what you should achieve. See this link -
      How to get your router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks - here's my stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4096 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.0 db 12.0 db
      Noise Margin 22.7 db 14.0 db

Having just read the explanation elsewhere on site, am I right in thinking this is quite good in terms of potential connection speed?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Yes, very good, you should see 18+mb.

Thanks

If you have extensions wired to your master socket it is always worthwhile trying the stats in the Test socket. Internal wiring is always liable to interfere with your connection and although your stats are pretty good, they could possibly be better.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

No noticeable difference on the test socket. Although this morning, back in the main line, I noticed that my connection was jacked in at somewhere around the 7Mbps mark and had an upload of 798 kbps - is that the DRM training taking place?

Sky's broadband centre is still staying that 'the estimate provided at purchase is 4.0Mbps' so I'm guessing the records aren't officially updated yet, and apparently there is no line testing going on - anyone know are these likely to change in the near future?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If it's gone up to 7Mbps then DLM is running - the Sky site is bad for keeping up-to-date...best thing is to check your stats again
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Sevlow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thatcham
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Log into your broadband account at https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/mysky
      It will tell you if your line is still in the testing stage or if testing has finished. I was activated on 24th March and yesterday when I looked at my broadband details it said the line was still in the testing stage. Today when I logged in it said the testing had been completed on 29th March and told me what my max up and down were set at.

Thanks

'the estimate provided at purchase is 4.0Mbps'
      That is Sky watching their back, giving a much reduced figure. The regulations require them to give a figure which must then be achieved. Obviously if they quote a figure of about one quarter of what it should be, they are going to be safe from any come-back. Probably legal, but not very honest of them.

Remember that as your line is capped you will not see any rise in the speed when you use the Test socket, but if your internal wiring is interfering you will see a rise in the noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites