Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermittent connection since christmas, 2 fault calls closed - at my wits end!

This is a discussion on Intermittent connection since christmas, 2 fault calls closed - at my wits end! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, Just thought I'd share my nightmare with you and get some advice before I go completely gaga! Connections ...

Gernster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYBRIG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Intermittent connection since christmas, 2 fault calls closed - at my wits end!

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share my nightmare with you and get some advice before I go completely gaga!

Connections been getting less and less reliable since Christmas. Connects & syncs, then drops out with the router light flashing green and amber, reboot & reconnect etc. Sometimesd the line can stay up for 6 hours, sometimes not even for 30 seconds. Seems to be suring the evenings when its worse.

Ive had a new router, new microfilters, plugged direct into test socket, had BT engineers out to test both the voice and broadband connections, but sods law when they turn up (during the day) the line is stable . They say they have also swapped the card at the exchange, but I'm not sure if the have. lines been reprofiled 3 times. Its capped at 2.5GB at the moment

I've had 2 calls outstanding over the last 6 weeks (they closed the first one after a 4 day period - but it took 6 days for the new router to arrive!

Does anyone have a direct number to Customer Solutions Team? Ime tired of taking half an hour to go through 3 layers of support to get to the guys who still cant fix my problem!!

Does anyone know what the fault may be??

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent connection since christmas, 2 fault calls closed - at my wits end!

Quote Originally Posted by Gernster View Post
      had BT engineers out to test both the voice and broadband connections, but sods law when they turn up (during the day) the line is stable
      does anything else change when the engineers are not there, for instance the setup? do you always keep your router in the master socket and have you tried leaving your router in the test socket for a period of time?

Does anyone have a direct number to Customer Solutions Team? Ime tired of taking half an hour to go through 3 layers of support to get to the guys who still cant fix my problem!!
      there isnt one. phone up in with your filter directly in the test socket with your your phone and router and you will only speak to tier 1 for a minute or 2. if your on the sky voice and broadband network and you have a ticket open to svbn cst then ask tier 1 to transfer you straight to them. also if you are on the sky voice and broadband network(i assume you are if you have to go through more than one team to get to cst) find out when you were moved onto it and see if this coincides with the start of your problems.

if the engineers cant find a fault, new routers are doing nothing then just ensure your setup is remaining as you have been advised by cst. please post up your stats also? details in my signature

Thanks

Re: Intermittent connection since christmas, 2 fault calls closed - at my wits end!

yes, left in master socker for 4 days, nothing changed in the setup at my end.

I am on sky voice & broadband. My wife chucked my call refernce away and was looking at a 20 minute wait just to get to tier 2 tonight so I sacked it off!!

new stats:

Exchange:
      Thanks

How to get your router statistics - can you please post these stats up? we need to see the stats from the router, if you could post a copy of the stats from you current location and the test socket that would be ideal.

you shouldnt need the case reference number really, they can pull it up on the screen before you even read it out. if they say its closed then they will want you to go through everything again so just make sure you call in your test socket anyway

Thanks

ok, stats when in master:

and when in test:

Exchange:
      Thanks

well you can see yourself the difference in speed between the master and test socket! have neither of the engineers fitted you a new faceplate? it is unusal that your attenuation increases in the test socket.

when you connect to the test socket do you just have adsl filter directly in the test socket and your router connected it to it through the short grey adsl cable sky provided? nobody can fix an internal wiring problem over the phone and the jump in stats between your master phone socket and test socket would indicate the problem probably doesnt lie on the external line. did the openreach engineer check the connection in the test + master socket and did he use the same cables your using?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Looking at your stats the router does not appear to have resynced properly. Can you leave it in the Test socket, pull the power plug out for a minute then plug it in again. Then take your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi guys.

Yes I have the test socket to microfilter to grey sky cable to router. have just been using it straight into the standard master socket recenlty though, dont like the wires from the faceplate on show!

BT engineer did try both sockets and noticed the jump, but they put that down to being a better link as its through the test socket?

He had a fancy bit of kit that connected direct to the socket. Ive had all new microfilters, cables and router from sky anyway.

I'll post some more stats tonight.

Thanks for the help so far.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

BT engineer did try both sockets and noticed the jump, but they put that down to being a better link as its through the test socket?
      The jump is due to the internal wiring being isolated thus reducing the 'noise' on the line. Any reasonably competent engineer should have know that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

BT Open reach BRoadband engineer been this morning again but of course line tests all came back fine. He swapped my master socket but doenst think thats was the problem, hes aso been down to the exchange and done the same tests there and swapped the exchange fuses, but again doubts that is the problem.

He thinks its either raines interference now or Skys DSLAM equipment. Hes asked me to ask sky if they can transfer me to another port on thier equipment.

There are 3 opther sky users in my courtyard and no one else is having a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast