Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Ever Slowing Speeds

This is a discussion on Ever Slowing Speeds within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've had the Sky Broadband Max package for over 3 years now but since around 6 months ago my ...

StevoForEngland is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wigan
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ever Slowing Speeds

Hi,

I've had the Sky Broadband Max package for over 3 years now but since around 6 months ago my speeds have been quickly dropping. I'm a fair distance (over 2 miles) from my exchange so I'm aware I won't get a great speed but I was achieving roughly a 3mbs connection at first. Now I'm seeing a connection of 768kbs whereas a month ago I was getting 1024kbs. I have not changed any wiring in the house, I have not moved my Netgear DG834GT router in the last 2 years and I have not moved my filters in the house. I am using the network connection direct to my PC and wireless for various other devices around the house. My line stats are as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 768 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 67.0 db 43.2 db
      Noise Margin 17.1 db 10.0 db

I retested with just the broadband connected to the port under the face place and I see this:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 768 kbps 522 kbps
      Line Attenuation 67.0 db 43.1 db
      Noise Margin 17.3 db 9.0 db

If I attempt a Sky PPPOA Test on my router it always returns error 200 even though I can browse the net ok. Reseting the router makes no difference to the speed at any time of the day.

Does anybody have any ideas whatsoever as it's driving me a little crazy now!

Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. Advertisement
      pau1777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton in Makerfield
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Ever Slowing Speeds

Is there a chance your phone has been swiched to the sky voice and broadband network? If you have sky talk this is a possibility.
      I am having the same problems since they swiched my line.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like your line has had DLM run on it, which has put it on ADSL2+. It has found difficulties with the line, not surprising on a line of this length, and capped it. You will have to phone Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line as DLM has left it with a poor speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

psychobudgie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caldy
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pau1777 View Post
      Is there a chance your phone has been swiched to the sky voice and broadband network? If you have sky talk this is a possibility.
      I am having the same problems since they swiched my line.
      Mine got switched last Tuesday and ever since my speed has dropped from a steady 9mb/sec to 6mb/sec. Called them and they made some changes which jumped my speed back up to 7 and sorted the ping out (went from 50 - 25m/s after they mucked about a bit) but as of today the speed is back down to 6 and the ping is back up at 50. I am not a happy bunny and will be calling them to tell them as much tomorrow.