Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Router

This is a discussion on Sky Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All I have just setup a NAS at home which holds all my movies etc and connects to the ...

IKWeb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01708
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Router

Hi All

I have just setup a NAS at home which holds all my movies etc and connects to the PC using wireless (cant use wired)

I have found that this keeps skipping which I have put down to not enough speed available over the wireless as when I have tried with a wire (across the Flore) it works fine.

The router which I have from Sky is the Netgear one which I understand is 108mb to speed??

I have been searching around and notice N series routers can take up to 300MB via wireless and are designed for HD streaming around the home.

I have noticed that Virgin offer a free N series router when you sign up, I though would not wanted to swap ISPs if I can help it, but Sky have one or two limitations here.

1) I dont know my U.N and Password, I am aware tho these can be found out using special Firmware etc but this is not in line with skyís T&C....

2) Virgin would work out an extra £10 per month.

My question would be, do Sky offer a N series ADSL router? I donít mind if I have to pay for it, but this would be great if they did....

Any comments would be very welcome.
      Thanks for taking the time to read this.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Sky Router

No they don't - yet
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You would only find an improvement with a N router if all your equipment, including the NAS, was compatible. Likewise you will get no advantage from the 108 super G router if your equipment is not compatible.

For a NAS you would be far better with a Homeplug net work. The cost would be in line with an N class router and would be faster and more stable. Just to give you an idea of what it entails.
      HomePlug AV | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IKWeb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01708
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Guys

Thanks for the feedback..

The nas I have is a netgear stora whch has a 10/100/1000 card in it. Here was the plan

Sotra, to new N series router via RJ45 cable, I have an N series USB lan card in the PC at the moment, thus finishing off the connection????

I have thought about the power line stuff, read allot of reviews, and got some in at work to test 1st... Only issue I can find is they dont like been connected via 4 way adaptors, and I canít afford to loose any plugs... Plus the plug next to the router is well not in the best place for this setup. Else yes this would be the best option.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Mine works fine on my 4 way plug, my sisters does also.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

People recommend not to use gang plugs but if it works you're not losing anything. OR you could plug it in another plug socket elsewhere in the room and run Ethernet to the device in question
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have all my home plugs on gangs, what they won't like is surge protection as the capacitors that are meant to smooth out the power may interferre with the data.

Although saying that I stuck them on surge protectors and thwy still worked.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!