Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Hope someone can help, I've been struggling with my connection dropping off and also speeds varying from anything from ...

VinnyChase is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection

Hi,

Hope someone can help, I've been struggling with my connection dropping off and also speeds varying from anything from 10MB to 2MB for about the last 15 days.

Sky sent a new router last week which seemed to fix the problem for about 3 days but I'm back again at the same problem with the connection just dropping off.

I have posted my stats below, is there anything else I need to post up that would help??

These are from the test socket using a wireless connx to my laptop.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 0:58:27

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 10329 13304 0 0 0 0:16:39
      LAN 156 0 0 0 0 0:58:27
      WLAN 37001 29416 0 0 0 0:57:59
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10080 kbps 828 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 16.7 db
      Noise Margin 5.4 db 9.0 db

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection

Hi,

I'm still having real problems with the connection dropping and having to reset the router two or three times a day. The Noise margin has dropped as low as 2.0 db. I've fitted an ADSL filtered face plate and these are the stats this morning;

System Up Time: 1:47:22

WAN PPPoA 2273 2319 0 40 0 0:32:22
      LAN 115 0 0 0 0 1:47:22
      WLAN 8025 7544 0 0 54 1:46:54
      Connection Speed 10080 kbps 828 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 db 16.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 11.0 db

Hope someone can advise why I'm constantly losing the internet connection. Please help!!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the noise margin is constantly dropping that indicates noise on your line. Let's see how it goes with your new faceplate. If the problems were internal, that should fix it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, it has been just as bad today with the new faceplate fitted. Had to reboot the router three times as when the noise margin drops everything grinds to a halt.

I've taken a look at the external wiring coming into the house as well and it looks a mess. The people who had the house before us look to have done some bodge job with the BT line going into an NTL box (which is now disconnected) and then into the house. Not sure if this is causing the problems?? I had though from taking sky broadband in November after moving from BT through to start of this month had no issues.

Thanks

If they have messed around with the wiring, that could be the cause of you problems. If it is on the external side of your master socket, then it is up to BTO, or Sky if your rental is with them, to fix it. Do a quiet line check to se if there is any noise on your voice line. Dial 1 digit and listen, you should hear nothing but a quiet hiss at the most.

It is quite likely that it was OK previously with BT but with Sky you are on a higher speed using ADSL2+ and this requires a 'cleaner' line to operate properly. Any faults will be magnified.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. Done the quiet line check you said and only hear a quiet hiss.

My rental is with sky, I will give them a call later and report the external wiring. Would it be best to ring sky talk rather than broadband dept??

Thanks

Would it be best to ring sky talk rather than broadband dept??
      As it is not having any effect on the voice side, broadband may be better, but getting someone there to listen may be difficult and they may just refer you to the Talk side. I would try the broadband first and if that does not work, try the Sky Talk.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

BT Openreach have been out and there are no problems with my line. I'm still having similiar problems with the connection dropping out though. Had around five hours yesterday though of a perfect connection.

The connection dropped out at 9.45 this morning and when I went into the router, it said ADSL TRAINING in the router status, followed by PPP Server down, I think.

The speed has now dropped off again, see stats below;

System Up Time: 1:54:51

WAN PPPoA 1723 1712 0 380 485 0:07:23
      LAN 35609 34543 0 575 498 1:54:51
      WLAN 1820 417 0 0 0 1:54:26
      Connection Speed 3094 kbps 512 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 db 38.5 db
      Noise Margin 5.7 db 8.5 db

Is there anything else I can do to get a better connection, is the ADSL training interfering with my line?? I really need a stable connection with working from home pretty much rely on the internet being on 24/7.

Thanks

Unless it was a dedicated broadband check, BTO will report the line OK. If it is working for the voice side that is all they are interested in. No matter what they say something is wrong. Your attenuation has increased from 36 to 47, this indicates a serious fault somewhere. As you have already tried another router all that is left is the line or exchange equipment.

If you are depending on it to work from home you would be well advised to find another ISP. Sky broadband is for domestic use and specifically state you are not permitted to use the connection for business purposes. If your livelihood depends on it, you would be better with an ISP that will guarantee a stable connection.

TomD

Useful Utilites