Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BB speed dropped, not confident in Sky customer service...

This is a discussion on BB speed dropped, not confident in Sky customer service... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi first post, Hopefully one of you can help. I've been lurking here for a while but never had the ...

rabmc1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BB speed dropped, not confident in Sky customer service...

Hi first post,

Hopefully one of you can help. I've been lurking here for a while but never had the need to post until now.

Ok, I've been with sky for about 3yrs, with no issues on any service. Until last night. My broadband froze so I rebooted the router. After which my connection dropped to 2Mpbs for 3Mbps. Several reboots later and no joy I called customer support today.

They advised that no services issues were in my area, and my line tested ok too. There was no explanation for the drop in speed. The reason I'm posting here is due to the lack of diagnostics on the call, I'm not too convinced that my issue will be fixed any time soon. The advisor got me to take the faceplate off the master socket, and connect the router to the test socket. No better. The call was ended after about 20 mins, quite alot of that being on hold. I was advised that my line was in the process of "being tested" and within 10 days I will get my max speed of 4mbps. This test started on the 19th March. Did sky find an issue and start this process or was I being fobbed off?

If anyone has any advice/ideas or needs more info to help me please let me know.

Thanks

rabmc

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: BB speed dropped, not confident in Sky customer service...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Post up your stats (link below on how to do that) from where the router is at the moment and then plug into your test socket (unscrew the faceplate as you have previously) and re-take the stats and post up both sets.

Whilst you're at it, swap over for another filter if you have one spare and make sure you're using the sky supplied dsl cable (it's a short grey one) with no extension cables in use.

How to get your router statistics

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right took the first snapshot when plugged into master socket. The 2nd when plugged into the test port. I did try a new microfilter last night. straight out of the packet - no joy.

Not sure if the router has seen better days as I got a DNS error when plugging into the test port, and it took a good few attempts to get the router back up and connected after a reboot.

Anyway here's the screenshots. Thanks for the help so far

Main socket

Test Socket

Last edited by rabmc1979; 22-03-10 at 11:35 PM. Reason: adding microfilter comment

Exchange:
      Thanks

A bit strange for the attenuation to jump up slightly whilst in the test socket, but regardless, that proves everything's ok internal wiring-wise. Out of curiosity, were those stats taken with simply just a filter and the sky supplied dsl cable, with no extension cables?

You are far from your exchange, but you're gonna have to call up sky as the next step to change your line config. It seems DLM (the 10 day training period that sky were on about) has capped you at 2048/608 for some reason.

Stay in the test socket and call sky back up. State you're in the test socket, have changed filter etc. and you'll be passed onto the 'customer solutions team'. Ask CST to suspend DLM and try your profile's line code on g.dmt as you're on adsl2plus at the moment. You should see a bit of an increase and if all goes well, you'll be back near to 3mbps. If not, then you may find sky will want to send out a new router as it's an old phase 1 netgear from 2007.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I had a feeling that I was getting nowhere fast with the customer advisor.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am a few km away from the exchange. Service up until now has been fine, 3-4mbps. So I guess for the next few days I'll be ringing sky until I get progress.

Do sky run these DLM as a matter of course, It's just i couldnt understand why they started this on the 19th when I had no issues, or contacted them saying I had an issue.

A call to CST tomorrow then. Yeah it's a v1 router from 2007, thats when I originally got connected

Thanks again

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You are sometimes best to ring Sky after 10pm why not give them a try now?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabmc1979 View Post
      I had a feeling that I was getting nowhere fast with the customer advisor.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am a few km away from the exchange. Service up until now has been fine, 3-4mbps. So I guess for the next few days I'll be ringing sky until I get progress.

Do sky run these DLM as a matter of course, It's just i couldnt understand why they started this on the 19th when I had no issues, or contacted them saying I had an issue.

A call to CST tomorrow then. Yeah it's a v1 router from 2007, thats when I originally got connected

Thanks again
      A quick call through at this time would have you through to someone who could config the line pretty quickly, usually. 08442410515 if you decide to call. You'll need to get past tier 1 firstly, which is simple if you just say you're in the test socket, swapped filter etc. Basically just follow their lead and you'll soon get transferred to CST. Edit: If the person on the phone refuses to transfer you, stating that you need to await DLM finishing, then politely decline and ask to be put through as you've already been through a previous DLM period and there's no need for another.

DLM runs on all lines as a monitoring tool, which if it spots errors being produced excessively, then it will kick in and regrade the line by running another training period (the up-to 10 day process referred to). DLM messes with line configurations, however, and afterwards needs manual tweaking in some cases.

If CST can't simply configure you back to the speed you were at previously, then my guess is that perhaps the router is on its way out - if you have one spare that you could borrow from a friend/relative on sky to re-take the stats, that would be handy, and also swapping for another filter would be a good idea also. In the case that a new router gives better stats (i.e. lower attenuation and/or higher noise margin) then at least you can confirm whether your router is ok or not.

Exchange:
      Thanks

getting somewhere, called again. Got through to India again. they tried to reprofile the line, and after a few mins came back and said they couldn't due to DLM. I tried saying I've swapped mircofilter and in test socket etc but no joy.

Then checked the speed and currently at 3653kbps. So possibly the advisor kickstarted something or just a coincidence...

Either way hopefully going in the right direction.

cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think that's been manually configured by the agent you got through to - if you definitely are on the everyday package (used to be 'mid') then your upstream should not be configured over 608. Keep your eye on it and check whether it stays stable - I'd say at that speed you're actually doing very well for your attenuation.