Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Please check my line stats...

This is a discussion on Please check my line stats... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you're migrating it will stop automatically and that's when you plug in your Sky router - depending on how ...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Please check my line stats...

If you're migrating it will stop automatically and that's when you plug in your Sky router - depending on how quickly you notice it is how much downtime you experience.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

2. Advertisement
      RoughNerd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heckmondwike
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

One more question, the line attenuation and noise margin, how did you guys work out how much I would roughly be getting? What is the mathematical solution to working this out?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It's more guess work but theory suggests the shorter the attenuation the faster the speed. Most lines below 10dB on the downstream attenuation tend to see 20Mbps, lines between 11-20dB see 16-20Mbps, etc...

There's a graph on here but it's not too accurate IMO
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      It's more guess work but theory suggests the shorter the attenuation the faster the speed. Most lines below 10dB on the downstream attenuation tend to see 20Mbps, lines between 11-20dB see 16-20Mbps, etc...

There's a graph on here but it's not too accurate IMO
      I see. I live 0.3 mi from the exchange, my upstream looks amazing but my downstream is not so great.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

my upstream looks amazing but my downstream is not so great.
      Not quite sure what you mean by that. There is nothing amazing about 448, when you move to Sky this will probably be 1200-1300kbps.

Bear in mind when you move your line will be training for about ten days. The training may not start until 2-3 days after you connect, so the first speed you will see will be 4Mb. Don't worry about this as it will soon increase.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Not quite sure what you mean by that. There is nothing amazing about 448, when you move to Sky this will probably be 1200-1300kbps.

Bear in mind when you move your line will be training for about ten days. The training may not start until 2-3 days after you connect, so the first speed you will see will be 4Mb. Don't worry about this as it will soon increase.
      I meant the line attenuation and noise margin not the upload speed, I know the upload speed is terrible at the moment, but the line quality is quite high.

Thanks

So today my connection with sky went live... Currently I am connected at 4m so I rang sky up, and they tried to blame me. Saying that: "maybe you have an old computer" I am a bnechmarker and overclocker hobbyist, so I told them I had a very fast computer, and over clocked quad-core so they referred me to a technician, and he said to me, your "line is bad" so I turned around and told him my line was not bad, I give him my line stats off the top of my head, at that point he was slightly taken aback.

So he said he would check, he came back saying it was due to the connection just going live, and then he said It is only upto 20 meg, and he said I live so far form the exchange that I can't get more then 5 meg. This point I was ****** off...

I turned around and said to him: "excuse me sir but are you drunk? I can see my exchange out of my window, it is not even 600 yards away from my house" so he quickly apologized and I said: "don't tell me my line is bad, I have had my line tested by BT who told me my line can support 18meg" then I told him, I will cancel my contract, since it was false advertising, and I will go to my local citizens advice center. So he said, he apologizes and that he would go and just make sure, by testing the line once more... So after a few minutes he comes back and tells me my line can support 16meg, and that within 24 hours I am guaranteed this speed. So I took his name and told them I will contact them to confirm this.

Why do they have to mess you around and play you about like this? I bet they get away with this kind of stuff with those who are not very internet savvy.

I will take them to court, if things do not improve in a month, someone needs to put the foot down, when ISPs are blatantly lying.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As Isitme stated, DLM will run on the line as a training period for around 10 days or so. Your line stats will start at 4096/512 and rise accordingly.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So today my connection with sky went live... Currently I am connected at 4m so I rang sky up, and they tried to blame me
      No wonder Sky support get p****d off at times!! He should have told you your line will be training for at least 10 days and hung up. Didn't you read the letters you got or what I advised above?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

domjokes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Smethwick
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoughNerd View Post
      So today my connection with sky went live... Currently I am connected at 4m so I rang sky up, and they tried to blame me. Saying that: "maybe you have an old computer" I am a bnechmarker and overclocker hobbyist, so I told them I had a very fast computer, and over clocked quad-core so they referred me to a technician, and he said to me, your "line is bad" so I turned around and told him my line was not bad, I give him my line stats off the top of my head, at that point he was slightly taken aback.

So he said he would check, he came back saying it was due to the connection just going live, and then he said It is only upto 20 meg, and he said I live so far form the exchange that I can't get more then 5 meg. This point I was ****** off...

I turned around and said to him: "excuse me sir but are you drunk? I can see my exchange out of my window, it is not even 600 yards away from my house" so he quickly apologized and I said: "don't tell me my line is bad, I have had my line tested by BT who told me my line can support 18meg" then I told him, I will cancel my contract, since it was false advertising, and I will go to my local citizens advice center. So he said, he apologizes and that he would go and just make sure, by testing the line once more... So after a few minutes he comes back and tells me my line can support 16meg, and that within 24 hours I am guaranteed this speed. So I took his name and told them I will contact them to confirm this.

Why do they have to mess you around and play you about like this? I bet they get away with this kind of stuff with those who are not very internet savvy.

I will take them to court, if things do not improve in a month, someone needs to put the foot down, when ISPs are blatantly lying.
      Dude they would take you to court not the other way around!
      IF you read the contract correctly, it would state your line would be in testing and your line would be at 4MB* (so that Sky have an estimate that is about correct straight away, so you dont complain).

Now get off your high horse and apologize, I can understand why he was teasing with those questions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast