Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Overstepped my 10meg

This is a discussion on Overstepped my 10meg within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Was on 10meg product. But was told since I went over my 10GB..that I would be automatically moved to UNLIMITED ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Overstepped my 10meg

Was on 10meg product. But was told since I went over my 10GB..that I would be automatically moved to UNLIMITED at an extra fiver.

After the proposed 10 days waiting my speed has not crept up at all.
      I'm still getting 6meg out of ten. As opposed to maybe 12 out of 20 on ADSL 2+.

This means I should get faster internet as I currently getting the following:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6135 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 39.5 db 18.5 db
      Noise Margin 1.9 db 11.5 db

I'm aware the noise margin isnt great right now. But forgive me...that upstream kbps doesn't look like it's on ADSL2+?.

I'm inquiring on behalf of my dad's net and not the one featured in my profile.
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Overstepped my 10meg

Your line code is already on adsl2plus. It's configured to 6144kbps/800kbps and the upstream is training in at 796, which is typical for adsl2plus.

Are these stats from the test socket, with no extension cables in use? If not, then get into the test socket with only the sky supplied dsl cable and possibly a swapped filter and post up the new stats.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Overstepped my 10meg

I'm still getting 6meg out of ten. As opposed to maybe 12 out of 20 on ADSL 2+.
      I think you may be misunderstanding, going on to Unlimited will not double your speed, in fact if your line had been properly configured and in good condition you would have been getting 9-10 Mb on Everyday. If your external line is in good condition, this is what you will get on Unlimited. An attenuation of 39-40 dbs is right on the borderline for getting a speed improvement.
      Plug into the Test socket as requested and post the stats from there. Power off the router before plugging it in then switch it on, to allow it to sync properly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.