Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement?

This is a discussion on Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi! I posted a little while back as I'd upgraded to Sky Broadband unlimited and found my speed went down ...

knighty76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement?

Hi!

I posted a little while back as I'd upgraded to Sky Broadband unlimited and found my speed went down from 1.8mbps to 1.5mbps !! As people pointed out to me, this was due to Sky running DLM.

After reading some of the excellent info here on the forum I elected to replace my funny dual socket (I only have one PSTN line anyway) with a NTE5. I also fitted a filtered faceplate that I bought from Tamar. In addition, I might have also have thought about getting at the BT junction box in my cellar and swapped over pairs between here and the NTE5, but obviously would never do such a thing, even though I'm a broadcast engineer, and any tinkering must have been done before I bought the house, honest guv...

I was hoping one of the knowledgable folks on here could take a quick look at my before and after stats and let me know whether -

a) I've made much of an improvement. Looks a bit better IMHO..
      b) what speed I might hope for now?

Who are the guys at Sky that I need to ask for to manually tweak my speed? Thanks everyone in advance, this is a really great forum and I appreciate the help.

Cheers,
      Rich.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement?-stats-before.jpg   Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement?-stats-new-nte-faceplate-filter.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Replaced NTE5 and faceplate - improvement?

with that attenuation it's going to be as best as expected without going to gdmt, and even this it'll just stabalise things a bit more
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

So you think that the 1.5mbps I'm getting now is as much as I can get? I was getting 1.8mbps before the upgrade! I think that previously a chap at Sky gained me some downstream speed at the expense of upload by tweaking things.

It seems that by fitting the faceplate and NTE5 an whatnot I've lost 0.2dB attenuation both ways, but improved my noise margin. Which has the greatest effect on speed?

Thanks for all the help.
      Rich.

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

With the right amount of tweaking i expect you might just hit close to 2.0mb, just need to get to CST or get lucky and get a tier1 agent with lama who actualy know how to use it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If your nose margin is still above 7 and you powercycle your router you will probably get some speed back. Pull out the power plug for a minute then put it back in. Check your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry to bring back an old thread.

Over the last 6 months or so my speed has got worse and worse until I'm actually down to 512mb !! My noise margin has plummeted too..

Have had a bit of a, erm, tinker in the basement as it were, and seem to have improved my noise margin quite a lot. New stats below.

Will me speed sort itself out? Have rebooted router and it's come up at 512 again, but I assume DLM takes a little while to do it's business. Or am I better getting straight on the blower to Sky?

Thanks everyone for all of your help. Would be interesting to know what speed to expect with these stats... 14.5dB is a fair bit better innit?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 512 kbps 510 kbps
      Line Attenuation 64.0 db 37.2 db
      Noise Margin 14.5 db 10.5 db

Cheers all,
      Rich.

Thanks

That is much better. However, I doubt if DLM will sort it out, I think you will have to phone Sky, tell them you have made improvements to your wiring, could they reconfigure your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks isitme, appreciate the help.

Next step... install this Thomson speedtouch I've had knocking about for a while!

Cheers,
      Rich.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Weird.

After rewiring signal to noise was 14.5dB. Checked router stats again last night - SNR had fallen to 8.6dB. Checked again this morning, up to 13.4dB.

Strange. Could I have a funny box? Or more likely an intermittent line? The overhead pairs into my home seem to dangle a bit amidst some treetops, but it's all shielded wire isn't it?

Ta!
      Rich.

Thanks

If your line is touching trees, call your rental provider and report it. The trees should be trimmed back to clear the line or eventually they will wear through the insulation and cause problems. This may have happened already..

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast