Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Approximate line speed?

This is a discussion on Approximate line speed? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can't be the internal phone line extensions can it because I get the same speed from the test socket. It ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Approximate line speed?

Can't be the internal phone line extensions can it because I get the same speed from the test socket.
      It is, you may be getting the same speed, but your noise margin has greatly improved. This means your extensions are causing interference. You would do even better from the Test socket.

I also noticed the green line is disconnected from the master socket. What is that for and which number should it go into?
      Don't connect it anywhere, just tuck it out of the way. The only wires you need connected are those that go to the 2 and 5 terminals.

If your speed does not increase after the 10 days training, call Sky and they will configure it manually.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Vegeta is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Prob the fact you're still on DLM - call Sky and find out

As for cabling, you only need cables in 2 and 5 - everything else is redundent - just make sure it's the same colour in each socket and you're good to go
      If I'm still on DLM then would the fact that I've been disconnecting and rebooting my router cause any problems as I believe I read in another forum post here that you should leave your router connected to the phone line uninterrupted for the duration of the DLM (usually 10 days). I've had the broadband activated for 6 days now.

BTW, what is the colour of the wires 2 & 5? It'll make it easier for me as the master socket wires are very short so I can't see the numbering.

Thanks

BTW, what is the colour of the wires 2 & 5? It'll make it easier for me as the master socket wires are very short so I can't see the numbering.
      Usually they are blue/white and white/blue, but they could be different but with twisted pair, they must be the same colour code. If your the socket has two blocks of 3 connectors the centre ones in each block are 2 and 5.

If you have only been connected 6 days DLM will still be running, don't reboot your router, let it do its work. DLM sometimes does not start for 3 days after your connection is activated, so you may have another week to go.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Usually they are blue/white and white/blue, but they could be different but with twisted pair, they must be the same colour code. If your the socket has two blocks of 3 connectors the centre ones in each block are 2 and 5.

If you have only been connected 6 days DLM will still be running, don't reboot your router, let it do its work. DLM sometimes does not start for 3 days after your connection is activated, so you may have another week to go.
      How do I know DLM is on my line? My Sky account doesn't show it or is it a given that it occurs within the first 14 days of broadband activation?

Thanks

or is it a given that it occurs within the first 14 days of broadband activation?
      It usually kicks in within 3 days of activation and runs for 10 days. You could give Sky a ring and ask them, there have been some reports that it has finished in 3 or 4 days. If it has finished, tell them it has left your speed low and they will configure it manually for your best stable speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It usually kicks in within 3 days of activation and runs for 10 days. You could give Sky a ring and ask them, there have been some reports that it has finished in 3 or 4 days. If it has finished, tell them it has left your speed low and they will configure it manually for your best stable speed.
      Can I tell them via email? If not, what is the number to ring?

Thanks.

Thanks

You can use email to ask them, but you will get a quicker response by phone. - 08442 410 515

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wow, I'm getting nearly full speed

Thanks

That looks good. As long as your DS noise margin is around 7-8 dbs you should maintain that.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yep, noise margin has been at 8dbs since the change in speed:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast