Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

The age old Attenuation Issue

This is a discussion on The age old Attenuation Issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey Guys, Quick question I wondered whether anyone had any advice one. I've previously been on the Unlimited package but ...

paulo de muchi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fulham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The age old Attenuation Issue

Hey Guys,

Quick question I wondered whether anyone had any advice one. I've previously been on the Unlimited package but was syncing no more than 10mb and decided I really didn't need the truly unlimited download limits so dropped down to Everyday.

Sky were pretty decent, got it sorted straight away, and even transferred me quickly through to CST to reconfigure my line after the NM had weirdly spiked and got stuck high.

IANTE had previously helped me out with this, shame to see he's no longer CST!

I digress. So got chatting to the CST agent around attentuations and fact there was little way to reduce it obviously due to it been related to line length primarily. However, he ran a check (and I had never heard of this before) that basically was taken from a BT system that indicated that when my line was installed when the property was erected, had an attn of 28. Today my attn is 37.

I've never seen it less than this figure so I'm puzzled as to how its increased. My actual straight line distance to the exchange is less than 2km so it supports a figure nearer 28.

CST mentioned I could get onto BT but they were likely to charge me for calling them out when my line syncs fine at 9meg now.

So, just wondered whether there's any particular route people could recommend if I did bother contacting BT. Everyone loves a quicker line so any help or advice greatly appreciated!!

Cheers chaps

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: The age old Attenuation Issue

You can run a test on BTs fault logging site and it will give an attenuation level based on these tests. Having said that, I've seen it show a 20km line as an attenuation of 50dB as it tends to only cover from the DP to the premesis not the full line...this may explain what the CST agent saw...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: The age old Attenuation Issue

I doubt very much that you will be able to get BT to take ownership of this issue, as far as they are concerned, you are receiving a service.

I think your only chance would be to pay for the engineers call, but even then, I am not sure anything could be done, not unless you were willing to pay 's