Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Broadband Unlimited package and questionable speed...

This is a discussion on Broadband Unlimited package and questionable speed... within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Would re-wiring be needed for the filtered faceplate? Only to the extent that you would remove the wiring from the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband Unlimited package and questionable speed...

Would re-wiring be needed for the filtered faceplate?
      Only to the extent that you would remove the wiring from the existing faceplate and put it on the same terminals of the filtered plate. You would then have to plug your router into the faceplate as you would be unable to get broadband on any of the other sockets. There are ways to give you broadband at another socket, but it can be quite complicated depending on how your circuit is wired. Plugging the router into the faceplate and using a Homeplug network from there is the best solution.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      who_me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsldude View Post
      How many phone sockets have you actually got in the house?, if its just the master and the unused one in your bedroom, simply unscrew the master socket faceplate and remove any extension cabling from the back of the faceplate,screw it back and connecting to the master socket will now give you same results as connecting to the test socket.

If you do get yourself a filtered faceplate and do actually have any extension sockets you use or wish to keep working, you simply need to remove the cables from the standard faceplate and connect to back of the new prefiltered faceplate.

Once you have made these changes firstly check your stats to make sure you have done it all right and have a noise margin like you did from the test socket ie

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4608 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 db 30.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.4 db 25.0 db

Then you will need to call Sky to get the line reprofiled again
      Thanks for this dsldude! There is a extension that I wish to keep as the landline is plugged into the kitchen one. I think I'll need to have a proper look to see what is behind the master socket before pulling out extensions on a whim!

who_me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Only to the extent that you would remove the wiring from the existing faceplate and put it on the same terminals of the filtered plate. You would then have to plug your router into the faceplate as you would be unable to get broadband on any of the other sockets. There are ways to give you broadband at another socket, but it can be quite complicated depending on how your circuit is wired. Plugging the router into the faceplate and using a Homeplug network from there is the best solution.
      Isitme you've been really helpful Definitely looking into getting a filtered faceplate, but will have a proper look at the master before doing anything (don't want us to lose total connection or phone line!) - think we'll be ok having the router in the master socket (hidden by the tv in the lounge) just need to make sure that the extension in the kitchen still works as we have our landline plugged into that.

Can you recommend a good homeplug? I was looking around and seen a Devolo Wi-Fi Extender kit but that costs around 140...not sure whether to risk buying ones slightly cheaper (as will probably need 2 wireless plugs for the 2 laptops we have in the house?)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Devolo are at the top end pricewise and I don't really know if the extra cost is worth it. Solwise are a very reputable make and are much cheaper. This is the matching Wireless plug together they will cost about 55 with postage. The 200mbps model with wireless N would be about. 85.

I would just buy one wireless plug at the moment, you might find it will connect the 2 laptops, even if they are in different rooms. You don't really want any more wireless waves bouncing around than necessary.

You can get 200mbps/Wireless N models but they are a bit more expensive. -
      Solwise PL-200AV-PEW-N Homeplug Wireless-N AV Adapter (Single)

What to be careful about is the 85mbps type, which operate on the Homeplug1.0. standard are not compatible with the 200mbps type which operate on the Homeplug AV standard. So if you think you need the extra speed, get the 200mbps ones now, rather than the 85mbps, as they will not talk to one and other.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12