Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

friends line

This is a discussion on friends line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; His sync is not bad Paul, download speed 18439, it is the throughput that is low. so no congestion on ...

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: friends line

His sync is not bad Paul, download speed 18439, it is the throughput that is low.

so no congestion on unlimited llu means he should be 18meg 24/7?
      Even with the best setup , you will never get the full sync as thoughput, due to overheads. With his sync he should get around 16Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ok well my friends comp has got issues to say the least lol.

my correction he is on xp not vista

got figures from test socket,slighty better in that socket:-
      connection speed 19005
      upload 1172
      attenutation 12.5
      noise margin 7.0

connection speed bit better then master socket and noise margin bit better although these are daytime figures so prob less noise unlike evening.

my friend away for weekend and im looking after his dogs so i could have proper look at his comp,he had no antivirus OF ANY SORT lol,firewall off, he got ****loads of trojans,spybots etc i will detail some of them later.

he didnt want to buy any antivirus so i setup microsoft security essentials, was getting virus warnings every few minutes from MSS which was suspending items that it had found which i removed with MSS, i also installed malwarebytes and done a scan which found 73 items which was a mixture of trojans,spybots,zbot,adware,something called backdoor.bot and something else called stolen data.

i removed them all with malwarebytes and done a speedtest with the skyuser test and things are better, got 15442kb result for download which is much better.

his comp in general needs alot of file cleaning,fragmenting and disabling few programs in startup in msconfig to get things better.its weird cos when you do a google search like for example i googled the malwarebytes program and clicked the link to the cnet website to download and i was getting redirected to totally different site which had nothing to do with cnet, obviously some adware that was on there before it was removed.

will see how things i when i go back round later.

oh one more thing i was unable to install a small security update from microsoft for xp, possibly some kind of virus preventing me?

skyconnectsufferer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: holland on sea
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet pro
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

another thing is he has five sites in his homepage box in settings in internet eplorer that all open up and log into at same time each timeyou start up explorer,all his passwords are auto filled so that it opens them all i.e.hotmail inbox,facebook and other things like that, wouldnt him having this allow hackers or virus in that way too?

when searching on googleon his comp instead of going to a link you click on it just redirects you to askjeeves and gives results for your search there

his speed is back up to better standard on regular basis including in the master socket and not just the test socket,he getting 15.5-16meg on speed test on skyuser so not an internal wiring issue.

also he only has 1gb free on his hard drive and im sure windows needs a certain amount of free space to operate efficently doesnt it?

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

When a PC gets that bad Its time to back up personal files and just format the drive
      and reinstall the OS.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ agreed
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12