Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow on PC, Fast on Laptop!

This is a discussion on Slow on PC, Fast on Laptop! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I have recently had sky talk installed in my ...

bd85uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Watford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Slow on PC, Fast on Laptop!

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I have recently had sky talk installed in my new flat and also ordered Broadband max to go with it. My broadband was activated on the 10th of this month which was fine. I connected with my pc and got slow speeds - I knew this was to be expected. What I didnt realise until this weekend was that I didnt connect the router to the master socket. When I did that I couldn't connect wirelessly at all from my PC which I was surprised because it is about the same distance and no obstuctions. This is when I tried the laptop which connected straight away at speeds of around 12mbs. By the way my pc was connecteing at around 0.4mbs from the other socket. I plugged the router back into the other socket and the laptop still works fine and has the same fast speeds but still the pc is very slow.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I know im still in the 10 day test period but if the laptop is working fine then surely the PC should. I has Sky broadband in my last home and had no problems with the same PC or any other laptop connected to it.

Please help because it's driving me mad.

Thanks

Ben

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 128437 192323 0 887 12802 05:09:11
      LAN 100M/Full 14079 0 0 237 0 05:10:00
      WLAN 11M/54M 193207 142702 0 12962 1114 05:09:47
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16381 kbps 972 kbps
      Line Attenuation 24 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 7 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slow on PC, Fast on Laptop!

First try a different channel on the router. Download Inssider from the link below and run it to discover the networks in your area. Check what channels they are using and choose a channel as far from those in use as possible. Channel 13 often gets good results.

You might also want to check the manufacturers site for the latest drivers for the wireless card. Download the latest available and install them, even if they do not appear to be newer than the ones you have. Your present ones could be corrupted.

I would always recommend that a fixed PC be connected by ethernet for the best results. If running a wire is not feasible, you should consider buying a couple of Homeplugs. These are faster and more stable than any wireless. If you decide to go this router, get at least the 85mbps type, don't even consider the 14s.
      Diagrams

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I shouldv'e said that I called technical support earlier today and tried all of the different channels and none of them worked. I also tried to update the driver for my wireless card but it said that there were none available. Would I get a decent speed if I connect by the ethernet cable and run a phone extension to the socket? I assume its something to do with the pc rather than the router? Or is this all likely to change after the 10 day period?

Thanks again

Ben

Thanks

It is down to the PC. You are getting almost as much speed as you are going to get. You would get the maximum speed connecting by ethernet, but you would need a longer ethernet cable. These are fairly cheap, costing only a few pounds. Running the router on a telephone extension cable is not a good idea. Your speed and stability will suffer.

Use the application I recommended, I think you will find you are on the same channel as a neighbour. Changing channels willy-nilly sometimes works, but it is a matter of lick.

There is also a chance that the adapter has developed a fault or is just not compatible with the router. If you have a friend with a USB wireless adapter which you could borrow, that may prove what is wrong.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

hi.

I used the inSSIDer tool. No one is on the same channel as me. They are on 1 and 7. Maybe I will have to try a longer ethernet cable, I cant find any other drivers for my wireless card although I will keep looking.

Any other ideas will be apprieciated.

Thanks

Ben

Thanks

They are on 1 and 7
      If that is the case you should use 12 or 13, as these do not overlap with those in use.

If you are using XP on your PC you could try running TCPOpimiser, link below. This will make sure your settings are correct.

TomD

Useful Utilites