Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Annoying problem

This is a discussion on Annoying problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had a problem with my line from BT completed work to the Green box that my line connects ...

DTfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Portadown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Annoying problem

I have had a problem with my line from BT completed work to the Green box that my line connects to. They have added new doors and a new power supply had been wired up in there (seen the spark doing it), I have no Idea if the lines were actually touched.

From that day my line has decided to choose a random time of the day to dissconnect and reconnect 4 to 5 times an hour. There is no no noise on the telephone line (voice) when the disconnect happens. However my noise margin bounces around before it happens form around 7.8 to 6.9.

I have been talking to sky and one chap was very helpful, there has been a copper line test done and it was clear, I do however think it will not be clear at the time of the fault occuring but its getting a test done at that time. I was then talking to a girl yesterday, she was either very hung over or stoned and all I was more or less told is it must be my line (cat5 to terminated box from a filtered faceplate fitted by an engineer long time ago). I am in the process of geting new cable and a new face plate I know for a fact this will not help as I have the same problem at the master socket.

Has anyone had this problem before and did they get it resolved?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Annoying problem

I will also add that I had to get my router reflashed a few weeks ago as it lost its firmware, sky are saying it s not a router problem either

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

You need to post stats and explain the physical setup of your router/ phone/ sky tv on the line for people to advise.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have no Idea if the lines were actually touched.
      From that day my line has decided to choose a random time of the day to dissconnect and reconnect 4 to 5 times an hour
      Probably too much of a coincidence not to be connected. It is possible the engineer has pulled a wire without being aware of it. Try dialling a number and watch your noise margin. If it goes up when the phone line is open, it probably means there is a bad joint causing a high resistance fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just did the open line test no movement at all, I would like to try it again with lower noise levels but today my connection speed is 1 meg under what it normally is and my upload speed has lowered.

Connection Speed 2208 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 29.0 db

it is normally

Connection Speed 3300 kbps(or something close) 420 kbps
      Line Attenuation 51.0 db 31.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.2 db 29.0 db

No amount of rebooting is allowing me to up the speed, it seems I have been capped?

If the line stays stable and I get less drop-outs fantastic I can live with 2 meg, even if I know the line is fine (without faults) upto 3.7. Its about time there was a technology devised that just worked, I am a little tired of the broadband situation ATM.

Thanks

As for the physical setup its a BT engineer install, A filtered face plate with a cat 5 cable running to the computer room with a box for the router on the other end (all phone lines or connected to the front of the faceplate none are using the internal filtered connections), its about 10 ot 15 meteres of cat cable.

Thanks

As you say, you are capped. This could have been done automatically due to a glitch when the engineer was working near your line. Call Sky and they should be able to put you back up to a bit over 3Mb, 4Mb might not be out of reach.

Edit. - Looking back over your post again, what you should do is ask Sky to put your connection on G.DMT. This should suit it better than the ADSL2 it is on at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As you say, you are capped. This could have been done automatically due to a glitch when the engineer was working near your line. Call Sky and they should be able to put you back up to a bit over 3Mb, 4Mb might not be out of reach.

Edit. - Looking back over your post again, what you should do is ask Sky to put your connection on G.DMT. This should suit it better than the ADSL2 it is on at the moment.
      I went and re ran the Cat5 and bought a new filter plate, and guess what no change and the problem is still there at the master socket.

I knew it was not this but thought it better to do it than to continue to allow sky to use this argument, I have now sent them an email and told them to get it fixed and sharpish, my up stream attenuation is on the rise now.

Its is a line fault no matter what the copper line test says and its all connected back to the green box as this is when it appeared...

Is there any way to get out of contract is sky do not fix this? I am in my 9th month?.

Thanks for all the replys.

Ed

Thanks

I went and re ran the Cat5 and bought a new filter plate, and guess what no change and the problem is still there at the master socket.
      Did you call Sky? Once a line is capped it will not return to the original speed until Sky un-cap it. Asking for G.DMT is still your best bet.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you call Sky? Once a line is capped it will not return to the original speed until Sky un-cap it. Asking for G.DMT is still your best bet.
      I have been using the kana(sp), I refuse to call them to sit on the phone for an hour going through their fault finding then being passed to the CST at my cost when the problem is BTs not mine. I have saind this at least 4 times to them and asked to have it looked at by BT. I even had to call BT myself to get a copper line test for the CST last week!

They are now saying that the line is only capable of 2 meg even if I have been getting 2.9 to 3.5 depending on the time of day etc for over 9 months

They are more or less not wanting to contact BT. I might just be unlucky but to go from a stoner/hungover woman to a person who can not read what I have written within my email to them is rather annoying :O).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast