Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

aol or sky

This is a discussion on aol or sky within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all my mate has aol but is thinking of going to sky ,has told aol this theyre offering aol ...

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

aol or sky

hi all
      my mate has aol but is thinking of going to sky ,has told aol this theyre offering aol platinum for 22 quid [does up to 8 meg i have told him sky do it for a fiver and for 10 he'll get about 9-10 meg ]he stays 200 metres from me [further from exchange i'm 1.3 km]any hoo is there a maxdsl checker [to give an approx line speed [i reckon he'll get about 4-5meg ]but dont want to tell him without my facts being right [saving 12 quid a month is good enuff for me but he wants fact] thanks for any ideas

2. Advertisement
      dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You would certainly get a better deal with sky if all goes well. I'd leave it for a couple of months and see if things settle down then make the move.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi dtr42

There is a a couple he can use to see what hes able to get but they are only if he has a router or a modem that can supply Attenuation and Noise Margin (SNR) and its only a rough guide use this one for MAX Adsl and for LLU

Or the BT phone checker
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

yup

got it pretty much spot on [he had a netgear router so all the stats were there [about 4-5 meg max and 10-11 meg llu ]he's signing on today for sky [hope he's a lucky one [as i am] no problems for 2 weeks now strait forward changeover and router /llu working fine [although downloads are a bit up+down][anywhere between 300kb-900kb/s thanks all, a quick questionif u can help
      i've noticed over the last 5 days that my sinc rate has slowly been increasing [started at 10 meg is now]
      DownStream Connection Speed 12250 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 764 kbps
      is this normal as the llu stabilises and gives me my max line through put or am i just being lucky ? as when i originally asked sky they reckoned between 13-15 meg but only got 10-11 meg
      Last edited by dtr44; 30-09-06 at 02:32 PM. Reason: wrong download speed [3 meg if only lol]

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well thats very good news and lets hope it does go ok for him as well then
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here