Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this all i can really get?

This is a discussion on Is this all i can really get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i try and sign up for the unlimited 6 month free broadband offer, only to be told that i'm ...

imso is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is this all i can really get?

So i try and sign up for the unlimited 6 month free broadband offer, only to be told that i'm already using a promo code and thus i can't use another one so the free 6 month offer does not apply to me Anyway i sign up as I haven't got broadband and paying one lump sum to Sky is easy and am promised speeds up to 15mb.

Router and letter arrive my activation date on the letter and MySky is 9th Feb, on the 9th I plug my router in and excellent i have broadband, look at my router stats they are stuck on 4mb - I read up about DLM and so leave my router switched on for 12 days, expecting to see my speed go up to around the 10- 15mb mark. I get nothing, no change!

I call Sky and one of their advisor says that there's been a problem and I wasn't activated on the 9th but rather the 19th (so how come i could use the internet from the 9th?) Anyway he advises me of another 10 days DLM and my speed should increase at the end of it.

Check the stats a couple of times during this period and yes thats right still stuck on 4mb, today the 9th March a month after my initial activation date i check the stas again and still no improvement.

I call up again, get passed between 3 depts (Scotland, India and back to Scotland) Finally get through to someone who can test my line etc. She tests away (master socket, different filters, no other lines in, manual increases in speed etc) and finally says that 5.5mb is the max i can get on my line from expecting 10mb to 15mb to get 5mb is very maddening. Now looking at my stats i believe i should be getting more. I have a brand spanking new phone line from the phone mast to my house, i only have the one phone point (which i've obviously filtered) she checked my line for noise and found nothing.

Is this all I can really get?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5208 kbps 509 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 16.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 24.2 db

Is there anything I can do?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Is this all i can really get?

Were you asked to plug into your test socket? If not (or even if you were) plug into it with only a filter and the light grey dsl cable sky supplied and re-take the stats. The SNR will hopefully shoot up and it should indicate possible faulty internal wiring/faceplate.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

These are the stats from the test socket:

Connection Speed 5443 kbps 509 kbps
      Line Attenuation 34.0 db 16.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 24.3 db

I've got no extensions, just the one socket from the line to my house.

Exchange:
      Thanks

For your attenuation, you should push out more in theory. What exactly did you have connected to the test socket when you posted those stats out of curiosity?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just the router (with filter) my first set of stats was from the master/main socket which had my phone and skyhd plugged in to.

The Sky support lady was saying that my line was sending back errors when she tried to set it above 5.5mb.

I believe i should get around 10mb easy, don't understand why i can't though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Did she mention how far you were from your exchange? It may be down to length of your line, quality of the line or perhaps faulty equipment (router or adsl cable for instance). If you could borrow another router, or have another one, it'd be worth a shot connecting it up and re-taking stats.

Exchange:
      Thanks

She did mention these, but with my line Attenuation i thought i should easily get the min 10 mb. gutted and unsure what to do next. Don't know anybody else with Sky broadband so wont be able to test whether or not it's the router.

The thing is on the Mysky the status update has still not changed from they expect my line to go active on the 9th (i thought it would tell you that DLM is taking place) so had thought it could be a prob their end.

So very frustrated.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like either your external line is in a very poor condition or your router is faulty. Can you try this as an experiment? Plug your router and phone into the Test socket, open the router status page and click the Router stats link, put the status pane in the corner of your screen where you can watch it. Now dial a number, your own number will do, watch the noise margin in the status pane. Does it increase when your phone is in use? If it does this will indicate a high resistance fault in your line.

What exchange are you on? You may have a forum member living very close who would be prepared to try his router on your line.

If all else fails you may get a better speed if your line was changed to the G.DMT mode. This would cap your line at 8Mb, but it would be better than you have.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok i've done some digging, last year a gardener damaged my phone line, now at the time i didn't think too much of it as my phone still worked (and the fact that i'd have probably cough up 125+ on a new line!)

Anyway looking at the damage it is far worse then originally thought. I have managed to twist some of the damage back and it seems to have improved my line.

Stats now:

Connection Speed 8000 kbps 509 kbps
      Line Attenuation 33.5 db 16.5 db
      Noise Margin 15.2 db 24.1 db

Will these stats allow me to get better speeds? Should i take the plunge and get a new line? I believe i may be currently capped at 8gb.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

That alone helps but it's best get the line sorted now as you're only going to encounter issue in the future. Invest now and be sorted
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast