Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but..

This is a discussion on Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; It depends on whether they supply separate modems and routers. I would think it would be a single VDSL box ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but..

It depends on whether they supply separate modems and routers. I would think it would be a single VDSL box similar to that linked above.

You should understand that you will only receive this if you are chosen for the trial. Only a small number on each exchange will get the offer. It is likely to be some years yet before it is available to all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

lets hope it gets deployed fully if they do it will make it easy on the money next time for when and if they change the line between the pole and the house

ultraviolet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT HomeHub 5
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I have just seen a BT Open Reach van laying what looked like fibre cable along the main road, my exchange is one of those being upgraded. Not everyone who wants Fibre will want to switch to BT - I certainly don't so I would assume they will let others use the network for a charge.

I am hopeful Sky will be very quick, their broadband network has been so successful they won't want to fall behind now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There may be problems with other ISPs using BT's fibre. Unlike copper lines which are transferred to LLU, it is not just a case of unplugging the line from one box and plugging it in to another, it is a bit more complicated. I would think that BT will be selling access to the fibre in much the same way as they sell their ADSL to other ISPs at the moment. ie. similar to the way they sell Connect to Sky. One of the conditions BT went ahead with the roll out of fibre was that they would be able to charge a reasonable price for reselling it. They do not want other ISPs undercutting their Retail wing as happened with copper lines. This probably means that if Sky decide to offer fibre, it is likely to be at very near the same cost as BT Infinity.You are not going to get a 40Mb connection with unlimited download for anything like the 12.50 Sky charge for their present Unlimited product. It is likely to be at least double that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

ID net are the first of the reasonably priced FFC resellers.

They do not throttle and packages are 25-45, although I do like the top end package where you get priority traffic over copper line users.

Although I remember paying 40 per month for my 1 meg line from Freeserver 10 years ago so prices are going back up to where they were.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123