Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but..

This is a discussion on Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but.. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; it doesnt make any difference fttc is not going to improve it its the copper lines to blame if they ...

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Our exchange is one of those being upgraded to fibre optic by BT but..

it doesnt make any difference fttc is not going to improve it its the copper lines to blame if they changed those to it would make a hell of a diffference buy a long shot

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

it doesnt make any difference fttc is not going to improve
      If the main part of the line, from the exchange to the cabinet is changed to fibre, it will make a big difference, especially to those who are a fair distance from the exchange. You might have a couple of hundred metres from your house to the cabinet and 3 or more kilometres from there to the exchange. It is not going to give everyone 50 Mb lines, but it is a step in the right direction. The governing factor is going to be the distance you are from the cabinet, not the exchange. Think on it as being 200m from the exchange, not the several thousands you may be at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

maybe so i mean dont get me wrong im near my exchange its just down the road its under a mile from it not sure of the distance egsacally the only thing thats between me and the exchanges is houses hahah

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I am less than 20meters from the cabinet, although it will be longer as the phone line goes to the pole over the road and then back to the cabinet next to my house.

But rather than the 9-11 meg sec I get now I should see a whole lot more as the overall line length will be insanely short,

Anyways I have spoken to o2 and they have no plans what so ever to offer the fibre yet so it looks like BT or Sky when our exchange is enabled next spring.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

i think the highest my line can support is 6 to 9meg not sure of the accurate speed but thats well over the goverments target of 2meg for me but i wish they would do away with this copper lines heres the thing if my area gets fttc does that mean my socket gets changed and do i get a new router to

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Yup the install takes 3 or so hours, you get your line hooked up to the fibre optic at the cabinet, you get a new master socket for the connection and VDSL2 modem and a wireless router.

It's more like the cable set ups with separate router and modem, and Sky will be happy as you will be using the supplied kit.

Given that BT are currently offering installs for free it looks like a good deal, given the amount of work needed.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

seems alot of work yea wonder what router they will use hope its a tgop make with gigabit ethernets as for the modem will it use ethernet for my internet or will it be the same as beforethose dinky telephone blocks modem thingys there em what do they call em dsl connection or will it be ethernet wan

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      will it use ethernet for my internet or will it be the same as beforethose dinky telephone blocks modem thingys there em what do they call em dsl connection
      i was also going to try and answer this, ive read it 5 times but i dont know what you mean :/

are you talking about a microfilter or homeplugs or something??

Thanks

no i mean the connection for the internet line does it use the little dsl plug on the end or is it going to be ethernet like the cable routers use you know the wan port bit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast