Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can somebody check these stats please?

This is a discussion on Can somebody check these stats please? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello, I've recently moved house and had Sky broadband Unlimited activated. I think I am currently going through DLM , ...

Dazeon is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Exclamation Can somebody check these stats please?

Hello,

I've recently moved house and had Sky broadband Unlimited activated.
      I think I am currently going through DLM, however my speed seems to keep going down.

My current stats are:

Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
      Downstream Rate: 3072 kbps
      Upstream Rate: 797 kbps

Current Noise Margin: 9.9 dB (Downstream) 12.3 dB (Upstream)
      Current Attenuation: 59.3 dB (Downstream) 34.9 dB (Upstream)
      Current Output Power: 17.1 dBm (Downstream) 12.1 dBm (Upstream)

We live in a new estate which is on the same exchange as our previous address, only nearer to the exchange as the crow flies.

Oddly we were getting around 4096 kbps at our old property, whereas here we started with around 6000 kbps, which has since dropped to 3072 kbps.
      I have also noticed there are several CRC errors and 'ERR_INCONSISTENT_SIGNAL' errors in the router diagnostics.

When we moved in the master socket was hanging off the wall, I rewired it from the back and added my XTE-2005 Faceplate Filter.
      The router is wired directly into that with no extension cables at all.

I'm now starting to think that there is something wrong somewhere, therefore I would be very grateful if someone could have a look and tell me what they think.

I currently have a complaint open with Sky and am wondering whether I need to get the line looked at. I feel I have pretty much done all I can do at my end, unless anyone else has any ideas?

I believe that 21CN will be activated at my exchange during March, will this make a difference?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Can somebody check these stats please?

21Cn will make no difference, Are these stats from the Sky router? Your noise margin is not very good and your attenuation is high, as the crow flies is not how telephone lines run. How far from your exchange are you by road?

Thanks

These stats are from a non-Sky router, it's a BT2700HGV, the Sagem router they originally sent me wouldn't work with Windows Home Server, and the wireless range was dire.
      Would it be worth swapping it out and testing the Sagem (if I can find it...)?
      Yeah, I gathered that re. noise margin and attenuation, upload speed isn't too bad.
      By road I am 1.2 miles from my exchange.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your attenuation is saying you are a lot further away from the exchange. I would double check the termination, if the socket was hanging off the wall then the line provider should have put it right when you took line rental service. There could be issues on the line installation now, do you get any noise at all on the line during calls?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Can you get the socket back off the wall and take a pic of the wiring on it? Something is wrong somewhere if the attenuation is so much higher than it should be.

Thanks

Yeah, I did wonder about that. It's one of these awful installations that comes from underground into an external plastic BT case, which is then attached with those gel crimps to a wire (around 1.5 meters) running into the master socket inside. I'm guessing more joins equals more loss?

I did inform Sky about the master socket but they seemed happy that I had put it back myself... There is some noise on the line during voice calls, but nothing terrible.

I'll remove the socket and try and grab a picture later, although I'll have to wait until the family remove themselves from the net!

Thank you very much for your help mate, I really appreciate it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Noise is noise, report it to Sky if you pay them line rental and also point out you made them aware that the socket was off the wall when you moved in.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You have an external XNTE, so you will not have a master socket as such, all your sockets will be plain extension sockets. This makes it difficult to check the line properly. If you are up for it, find the first socket on the line into your house, take the faceplate off and remove all the wires except the incoming pair. Note where the wires are connected so you can replace them. Take your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

XNTE, so that is what you call the horrendous grey TARDIS slapped on the front of my house!

Well you learn something new every day. I can rather see the reasoning behind it, but surely, they only serve in creating more loss by introducing another ‘join’.

Sadly, the very first thing I did having fitted the socket back on the wall was to remove all of the extension wiring from the front plate and attach my XTE-2005, prior to the line being activated. My theory was that I would see what best possible speed I could receive sans extensions, as I did not really need them, and then re-introduce them later, thus eliminating any possible problem with extension wiring. I have been here before; actually, I have been here four times previously. Having lived everywhere and anywhere in the North East, I am yet to have a connection beyond 4096 kbps.

So unfortunately, my original stats were pulled from the very first socket internally, with my router connected to my XTE-2005, and one telephone plugged in.

The length of wire from my XNTE to my first socket can be no more than 1.5 metres, if that. Dare I have a poke around the XNTE or is it time to get Sky or BT Openreach to look at it?

I swapped over my 2Wire router with my original Sky Sagem router, to no avail.

Thank you very much for your help so far, and for the knowledge!

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you have noise on your line and still have it when you remove everything but the phone from the line then yes get it logged as a fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast