Hi Folks,

This is my first post and unfortunately I am asking a question that many have asked before....Port forwarding.

I would like to think I know what I am doing but wouldnt be suprised if you guys put me right on a few things.

I started experiencing issues a good number of months ago using a non sky router. I would have a port open everything would work fine and then one day it would just close - no change on the router config just no traffic.

so I would open a different port and the same would happen again. Last week I changed to my sky router to see if the problem was using my own kit but it seems this is not the case.

I have phoned sky about this and they begun by saying they blocked no ports at all then after a little bit of pushing they said maybe they might do but they were not the right people to tell me about it and I should email via MySky for a more through response. this is what I got back.

"Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.

The Sky Broadband box only blocks 4 ports to the internet, to enable functionality for Sky Broadband to work correctly. These ports are 25, 80, 8080 and 3128.

If you are having trouble with port forwarding, please refer to online sources for further assistance, as we do not offer support on port forwarding ourselves.

For further assistance, you can visit our help centre online at Sky.com - Sky Help Centre

Kind regards

Sky Help Centre

since raising this with sky I do not seem to be able to open any ports at all so in fact the situation has gotten worse.

for info I am using.

Skys Sagem router
Windows XP - with static IP
I have set up a service identifying the port (51000) being used as a test.
set up the firewall rule to allow traffic on the service.
utorrent to check the port.

I have tried disabling all software based security (I only have windows firewall and AVG free) this does not help.

anything anyone can suggest will be welcome I am getting to thinking that I would be better off with another ISP.