Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband issue for nearly 1 year!!!!

This is a discussion on Broadband issue for nearly 1 year!!!! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; First time user! Long story tried to cut short, back in April 09 got sky talk and sky broadband and ...

whitelc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Unhappy Broadband issue for nearly 1 year!!!!

First time user!

Long story tried to cut short, back in April 09 got sky talk and sky broadband and had horrendous problems with phone line noise and intermittent/slow internet. After 3 BT openreach engineer visits, the last engineer found a fault on the cable between the cabinet on the street and the exchange. He put me on a new cable and for 4 months i never had a single issue with my phone line or broadband.

However, at the beginning of September they moved me to the "new" SVBN network and since the day they moved me I have had intermittent/slow internet with occasional phone line noise issues even when plugged into the test socket. I get according to my sky router stats a "normal" Downstream speed around 3200kbps, line attenuation of 52db, noise margin 9db. Upstream speed 414kbps, line attenuation 31db, noise margin 31db. Within 24-48hrs my downstream speeds have dropped to 100-400kbps and my noise margin is 20db, I reboot the router and it comes back up to "normal" and the cycle continues. I have had 2 BT open reach engineers round, they have told me my internal house wiring/equipment is ok, my line to the exchange is ok, they did a line shift in the exchange and still no improvment. To me it seems quite simple, the fault lies with whatever has changed since my move over to SVBN, or is that me been too simple.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Broadband issue for nearly 1 year!!!!

Post a set of stats from the router, are you on your main socket and if so do you have a test socket?

whitelc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply i really do appreciate it, I am not too sure how to post my stats so i hope this is ok, i turned my router off for 10 secs and then back on around 25hours ago as you will see because the speed was at 100kbps!!! after the reboot, the stats were as my original post.

Router Statistics currently

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 2500 3194 0 107 411 01:52:08
      LAN 100M/Full 4099 0 0 4 0 25:36:28
      WLAN 11M/54M 198078 121079 0 2716 180 25:36:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1922 kbps 414 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 33 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 16 db

I am on the main socket which is a pre filtered socket with a test facility I have my phone connected into this main pre filtered socket along with my modem, I have nothing connected to any other socket in the house. Before Sky sent the 1st BT openreach engineer round I was in discussions via phone with sky CST who had me plugged into the test socket and changed to another router for a week and I was still getting intermittent/slow internet. So they organised for the 1st BT openreach engineer to come round about 2 weeks ago, he replaced my original pre filtered socket with a new one as he thought that was at fault, but it made no difference. So i was back on the phone and a 2nd BT openreach engineer came round, he ran a tests, one with HAWK??? and found no faults on my line and suggested he thought it required a shift in the exchange if it went faulty again, it did within 24hours. So i was back on the phone and organised the shift in the exchange which was done but has not solved the problem.

Thanks again in anticipation

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Get a set from the test socket too for direct comparison and then wait a few hours and post a set to show the degradation.