Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bad Ping and Upload

This is a discussion on Bad Ping and Upload within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'd apprciate some advice. Over the last few day browsing with my Sky Unlimited broadband has become very sluggish. I ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Bad Ping and Upload

I'd apprciate some advice.

Over the last few day browsing with my Sky Unlimited broadband has become very sluggish.

I regularly check my broadband performce using testers like speedtest.net and this is what I usually get

Ping - 90 mS
      Down - 6 Mbps
      Up - 800 Kbps

Checked this morning and I'm getting

Ping - 182 mS
      Down - 5 Mbps
      Up - 200 Kbps

I've tried removing the Master Faceplate and connecting to the Test Socket but get exactly the same.

I've sent a fault report to Sky Broadband but I'm half expecting them to say "You're getting 5Mbps download - that is working fine".

I don't expect them to appreciate that the high ping and low upload really hits browsing and the build-up of webpages that have loads of components.

At the moment I'm find complex webpages like Sky, Amazon, Play take minutes to open.

Also, checked my line attenuations and they are 48dB down and 25dB up just as they have always been.

Any ideas or advice?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Bad Ping and Upload

Speedtest.net is a very poor speedtester and an even worse Ping tester. If you want to check your ping do it from a command prompt using bbc.co.uk or jolt.co.uk. and use this sites speed tester. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/

Unless you are a gamer, a high ping has little effect on your internet connection. What OS are you using? Are you sure you are clear of malware? Post your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

OS - mixture of XP and Win 7.

On a home network and all computers are see the same broadband performance - so I think that can rule out Malware.

I appreciate that SpeedTest may not be the best of testers BUT it has always given consistent results (whether accurate or not).

Now it is given consistent results - tried it loads of times and using there different servers and it is reporting that my Ping is 200% of usual and my upload is 25% of usual.

This change in reporting by SpeedTest coincides with the sudden onset of poor browsing.

I have tried all the speedtesters that I can find on Google and they are giving consistent measurements of DownLoad and Upload (very few measure ping though).

My son is also reporting a big jump in ping on XBox Live (no Malware on there)

Ping and Upload aren't just for gamers. The problem is that a webpage consists of 10s maybe 100s of components that have to be requested for download. Each of those requests has a Ping Overhead and if the upload is slow then so is the request message. This is why browsing has become slugglish.

I've never ping'ed BBC before so have no yardstick for comparison but I tried Jolt before so here are the comparisons

JOLT

Previous - 25mS
      Now - 44 mS

I've just used the SkyUser tester in your link and am getting similar results to SpeedTest

Down - 5232, 5176, 5264, 5208
      Up - 209, 209, 209, 209

Stats are the same as they have always been

Downstream

6142 kbps
      48.0 db
      7.0 db

Upstream

798 kbps
      25.6 db
      15.9 db

Cheers,

Nigel
      Last edited by nheather; 05-03-10 at 02:40 PM.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Ping and Upload aren't just for gamers. The problem is that a webpage consists of 10s maybe 100s of components that have to be requested for download. Each of those requests has a Ping Overhead and if the upload is slow then so is the request message. This is why browsing has become slugglish.
      I have to agree with you on Upload, but regards ping, have a look at this article. The Tester on this site is also very good.
      The Ping Fallacy

That being said, I have to agree that something is wrong with your upload, you should be getting around 6-700.

Do you have Sky Phone rental? If so you may have been moved to the SVBN and many users who have are experiencing slow downs and other strange problems.

If you have a spare router, you might want to try that as there is no obvious problem with your stats.

What you can also try is disconnecting all devices except one PC from the Net, Start it in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speedtest. Sorry that is all I can suggest at the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.