Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Loss of speed?? Sky saying no probs???

This is a discussion on Loss of speed?? Sky saying no probs??? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, had BB Max for almost 3 years now, and went over to SVBM I think around Oct last year.. ...

GSMGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: HD+ Multiroom
      Thanks

Loss of speed?? Sky saying no probs???

Ok, had BB Max for almost 3 years now, and went over to SVBM I think around Oct last year..

House was new when we bought it, and internal wiring is all decent.

Have Router plugged into a filtered faceplate at the first (master) socket near the incoming cable via a cat 5 cable

Line att has been steady 43db, and line has been totally solid, synching between 6800 and 7100k, with a steady upstream of 768..

Since yesterday, line has been synching @ around 4500-4800k with an upstream of 861...

Stats right now:

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4713 kbps 861 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40 db 24 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 13 db

Sky say there is no prob with the line, and I should only get 4mb max anyway - Have told them it's been steady @ 6500/7000 for almost 3 years, and they speak to me as if I am lying !!!

Also, my router now takes forever to "reappear" after a reboot, whereas it has always been instant - ie, once the "check router to see if it's on" box comes up, clicking ok has always brought up the login screen immediately, now I get "page not found" for about 2 mins whilst the router re establishes itself on the network (Wireless lan)

Anyone?

Strange that upstream has increased?? AND line att has gone down??

Mike
      Last edited by GSMGuy; 04-03-10 at 01:25 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Loss of speed?? Sky saying no probs???

If your upstream sync was 768, this shows you were on G.DMT. The increase shows your line has been moved to ADSL2+. There is an anomaly in that the attenuation does not usually decrease when you are moved to ADSL2+, it usually increases. Normally this mode would be fine on your line length, but it could be something is effecting it and causing it to perform poorly. Could be aluminium on the line.

Phone Sky and try to get through to the CST and ask them to try your line on G.DMT, which it was on before. Getting past Tier 1 is the problem, tell them you are a gamer and want put through to CST to have your ping reduced. When you get there raise the speed problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If your upstream sync was 768, this shows you were on G.DMT. The increase shows your line has been moved to ADSL2+. There is an anomaly in that the attenuation does not usually decrease when you are moved to ADSL2+, it usually increases. Normally this mode would be fine on your line length, but it could be something is effecting it and causing it to perform poorly. Could be aluminium on the line.

Phone Sky and try to get through to the CST and ask them to try your line on G.DMT, which it was on before. Getting past Tier 1 is the problem, tell them you are a gamer and want put through to CST to have your ping reduced. When you get there raise the speed problem.
      Cheers for that - This has already been passed to Tier 2 and I have been given a reference, will call them later!

Mike

Thanks

Yay!!

Just gotten off the phone from T3, my actual changeover to SVBN was on the 01st MAr... Coincideing with the drop in speed.... He has put me back on GDMT and capped me @ 8mb, now synch'd @ 6816/768

Result....

Mike

bl!p is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Peters
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Any explanation as to why SVBN is reporting a max of 4Mb compared to GDMT?

Thanks

SVBN has thrown up lots of problems. This is the first time I have seen it reported as being unable to support ADSL2+ on a medium length line. Let's hope your problems are over for the moment.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Strangely, SVBN lines seem to handle adsl2plus lines fine on mpf compared to smpf. I barely get any svbn calls through, but the random ones I do get through - svbn is random in that they are not fully configurable. It is a set profile you have to choose from compared to sky's dslams.

pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

btw what is a SVBN and a SMPF line i dont get it
      and how do you know which one you have?

Thanks

SVBN = Sky Voice and Broadband Network - Sky supply both voice and broadband.

From BT article-
      Metallic Path Facilities (MPF)

The local loop is used by a single Communications Provider to provide both broadband and voice services which are carried over the CP’s network. The CP has full responsibility for the relationship with the end user. Openreach provides maintenance for the local loop by responding to fault reports raised by the CP.
      Shared Metallic Path Facilities (SMPF)

This product offers a ‘shared’ local loop where the Broadband service is carried over the Communications Provider’s network and Voice services are carried via an alternative Communications Provider’s network over the same metallic pair. To enable this service, ‘splitters’ are fitted at each end of the metallic path to separate the Broadband and Voice services. Each of the CPs has a contract to provide its service to the end user. Openreach provides maintenance for the local loop as defined in SIN 349
      All who have Sky Phone Rental and are on a LLU connection, except those who have opted out, are on, or soon will be on, the SVBN.

TomD

Useful Utilites

pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

learn something new everyday thanks tom