Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I'm a brand new Sky Broadband Unlimited user and just have one or two questions. My broadband was ...

MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Brand New User

Hello all,

I'm a brand new Sky Broadband Unlimited user and just have one or two questions.

My broadband was activated on Thursday 25th February, though because of Royal Mail I didn't receive and connect my router until the evening of Friday 26th February.

I know you're not supposed to turn the router off for the first 10 days, however due to circumstances out of my control the router has been powered off once or twice for short periods (no more than 10 minutes). Now when this has happened, the router has not reconnected to the internet for quite some time. The first time it took all night for the internet light to go from amber to green, and the second time it was flashing amber for several hours, until we made a phone call, and then during the phone call it reconnected. This was also happening the first time, when I made a phone call, the internet reconnected, though only for the duration of the phone call, then disconnected again.

I'm just wondering, does the router being powered off/disconnected have any effect during the first 10 days of the router being tested? I have called sky to tell them the internet was down so they were aware of that, though I didn't mention that the power to it had been off, just that it wasn't connecting to the net.

One other thing was that on Friday, my internet speed was a measley 760k, whilst Sky said I should receive speeds of around 4Mb in my welcome letter (though I do understand that's an estimate, not set in stone). On saturday, the downstream speed went up to 1Mb, however now it's down to 500k. My upload speed however is 700k, and I'm sure download should be higher than upload in almost all cases when things are running right.

I'm at work at the moment so can't remember the exact details from my router, but the numbers below for my line noise are roughly correct.

Downstream Attenuation - 63 db
      Upstream Attenuation - 37 db
      Downstream Noise Margin - 11 db
      Upstream Noise Margin - 9 db

My straight line distance from the exchange is around 4.5KM, so I know I'm never going to receive 20Mb, but I think about 4Mb should be right shouldn't it?

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

If it's 63 attenuation you will be lucky to get more than 2Mb. We need full stats from your main socket and if you have one your test socket. How many telephone sockets have you got in the house and have you made sure that everything (including the 2 way splitter that Sky tv install) is going through a filter as it sounds like unfiltered equipment on the line.

Thanks

I have 3 sockets in the house. One in the living room, one in the hallway and one in an upstairs bedroom.

All 3 sockets have a filter plugged in, however the router and phone are connected to the socket in the living room. The sockets in the hallway and bedroom only have a filter connected, nothing is connected to the filter. I don't have the TV box connected to the phone line, I only have my router and my telephone connected to the filter in the living room.

Can you explain the difference between "Test socket" and "Main socket"? Which one is which?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Main socket is what you see on the wall, it's the first socket on your line and you other sockets should run from it. Your test socket is hidden behind the faceplate of the main socket, your first socket on the line should have a plate with a split going left to right on it.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket
      I would guess that you are plugged into an extension and not your main socket.

Thanks

I'll have to check when I get home, I haven't checked which socket has a split going across it. I'm a bit wary of doing a check on the test socket at the moment though, as once I turn off the router to move it I might lose my connection for several hours again which I'd rather not do. It might be best to wait for the 10 days to be over before doing the tests, that way if I can't reconnect Sky can't use the 10 day testing period as an excuse.
      What concerns me is that the internet seems to reconnect if a long duration phone call is made, which to me indicates something not quite right somewhere.

Does the router being turned off for brief periods of time during those first 10 days have any kind of effect on the testing process?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

It can have an effect but not the one you are describing, there is no reason your router shouldn't connect with a minute or so.

You would be best checking the router in the TEST socket, this may show what the problem is and then at least you could get it sorted.

Thanks

What kind of effects can it have if the router is powered off during the first 10 days?

If I don't notice a significant improvement in my connection speeds after the 10 days, would it be worthwhile getting one of these filtered faceplates I keep reading mention of?
      Would I need to change all my sockets for one of these? Or only the main socket?

I'll find my test socket when I get home this afternoon and plug the router into that and give it a test. I'm assuming I need to connect the filter to the test socket aswell yes?

Thanks

You would only change the Master socket (the one with the split in) with a filtered faceplate, this will allow you to connect the router to it without affecting the rest of the sockets and still giving you the best signal you can get. You must then connect the router to this socket as no other socket will work for ADSL.

Turning off the router during the DLM process could mean that the system lowers your speed as it thinks you have a problem, this will not affect the time it takes to connect to the network, only the speed it connects.

You will need a filter in just so that the plug fits in the hole.

Thanks

Gotcha. I'll hook up to the test socket and see what happens. If I do get a connection I'll record my stats, then put the plate back on and reconnect to the regular main socket, then record those stats. If they're different I'll get them posted up.

It sounds like it would be worth getting a filtered faceplate just to ensure that I get the best connection I can regardless of what the results of the test is. From looking around they don't seem very expensive. Though are they difficult to fit? Or is it a case of basically pull the old box out and put the filtered one in?

Once the 10 days are up and I've got a filtered faceplate in, I'll see what speed I get and then call sky to see if they're capping the line (which they might well be due to the problems I'm having during the 10 day test period) and ask them to uncap it for me so I can get a better speed.

Thanks

Easy to fit, just get a cheap IDC tool when you order it @ 1.

When you have the faceplate off, remove any wire into terminal 3, you don't need it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast