Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme It is SVBN , not SVBM, if you have Sky Phone rental, you have no option ...

MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It is SVBN, not SVBM, if you have Sky Phone rental, you have no option not to be on it. Once you are on it you cannot get off except by cancelling Phone rental and returning to BT.

Ahhhh, ehehehe, I took that post to mean that if I was on Sky phone line then I HAD to be on SVBN and couldn't switch to G.DMT
      I suppose I'll give them a call and see what I can do.

From reading around, it looks like I need to speak with Tier 2 service to get my speed up, and getting past Tier 1 can be difficult, though the best method appears to be asking about optimising my connection for games. Well that works well, I play WoW, Star Trek Online and City of Heroes, so I need my connection optimised for games anyway.

Will let you know how it turns out!

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Gaahhhh, tearing my hair out!

This morning my speed was 1200k, I got home today and to through to CST and found I was already on G.DMT and hadn't been moved to SVBN/ADSL2. So they said they'd put me on ADSL2 and reduce my delay from 32 to 16, and set the speed to 1.7Mb
      It did go up, and seemed stable at first, but fairly quickly the connection started to run slow and intermittently, then speed dropped to 800k. I called back and couldn't get past tier 1, but they decided to set the delay back to 32 and the speed back to 1.7Mb. Told me to turn the router off and turn it on in 5 minutes.

Waited 5 minutes, and then after the router connected my speed is now 508k!

I'm now on hold in the queue to speak with Tier 2, going to see what we can work out. Might need to get switched back to G.DMT and have the speed set back to 1.7Mb and see how that goes.....

Thanks

Ok, more or less stabilised now.

Back on GDMT with a connection of about 1.2Mb. Sky are now telling me that's about the most my line will support, since they say the line length is about 9km.

So we've gone from the original estimate of 4Mb, to 2Mb, to 1.7Mb and now settled on about 1-1.2Mb for a stable connection. Time to leave well enough alone by the looks of things, lol. I can still fit the faceplates, might squeeze an extra hundred k or two out of the connection.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567