Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Ok, at the moment the BT line is coming in on the BLUE pair, as we want this in the ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

Ok, at the moment the BT line is coming in on the BLUE pair, as we want this in the living room you look at the socket in the hall and join the blue wires in the two sets of cables you have, disconnect ALL wiring from the socket as it is now.

The green pair is currently NOT is use, connect this to 2 & 5 where the BLUE pair was previously. (this needs to be the green pair on the cable that is feeding the living room, NOT the cable that goes to the BT XNTE, only way to find out is check for dial tone when you have trie dboth sets of green as below)

Now move on to the living room socket, at present there will be BLUE & ORANGE pairs in use. One of the cables will be FROM the hallway socket, the other will be going to the bedroom socket. Connect ONE set of blues to A & B on the NTE5-do you get dial tone? Yes? That is the correct pair? No? Then the other set of blues will be the ones coming from the hall. In that same cable will be the green pair that you previously connected to 2 & 5 in the hall, connect these to 2 & 5 on the ADSL FACEPLATE. The other cable will be the one feeding the bedroom, connect the BLUR pair where you have just connected the green pair on the ADSL faceplate, in addition to this connect the orange wire that is connected to 3 on the socket in the bedroom to 3 on the ADSL faceplate.

So, looking at the ADSL faceplate you will have a green & blue pair connected to 2 & 5 and also an orange wire connected 3. The other set of blues will be connected to the REAR of the NTE5 socket on A & B.

If you still don't get it & decide to order drop us an email with your order ID and i'll email you a diagram.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ahhh, I think I'm starting to understand now

So just to confirm, the white cable that is currently connected in the hallway and the living room is to be totally disconnected and left disconnected? You didn't mention putting it on any of the ports so I'm assuming it wont be needed?

Just to be sure though, when I do order I'll PM you the order ID to get the diagram, just so I can make sure I get it right. Plus I've got my photo's to hook up the old stuff should things all go horribly horribly wrong.

At least my biggest worry is gone though, no need to replace the metal back boxes for the sockets, just the front parts that screw on! I was dreading having to take things out of the wall...

Exchange:
      Thanks

In the hall the pairs that are there now will be diconnected & joined apart from the greens. A diagram will make it very easy-trust me! All you need is an NTE5 & filtered faceplate. ( & junction box if removing the socket in the hall-a BT77A or 77B should fit in the recess then just cover with a single gang blank). No need to touch any back boxes sunk in the wall as the NTE5 is single gang too

Thanks

I think I'll leave the current socket on the hallway box rather than a junction box. Or would a junction box in the hallway leave me with a better connection do you think?

Exchange:
      Thanks

It will make zero difference either way. Although if going that route a personally would replace the socket in the hall with one of these, that then means you do not need to worry about the green pair, you have the ability to plug your modem/router in at the hallway if you wanted to and have no joining of cables to worry about.

Thanks

Hmmm, sounds like putting that in the hallway would make the cabling job a little bit easier if I'm not going to need to worry about the green cables at all or have to join cables...

I'll have a think about it, then place an order and let ya know.

On another note, I called Sky to have a bit of a complain about my speed (507k downstream) and they said they don't know where the 4Mb estimate came from, but I should get a max of 1.7Mb. The guy went to talk with the Tier 2, then came back to say they would get the line reconfigured as it had 512k set as the max.
      Eventually, he came back saying they'd managed to up the speed to 2Mb. This stayed for a while, however after I made a phone call later on, the speed dropped to 1.2Mb, and after a reboot isn't going back up.

More than likely, seperating the ADSL and Phone completely rather than going through an ADSL filter will resolve that problem.

Thanks

Just wondering, do people think it might also be worth giving Sky a call and asking if my line can be switched from SVBM to G.DMT? From reading around it looks like that might give me a bit of a speed boost given my distance from the exchange.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I already suggested this in post 45, you need changed from ADSL2+ to G.DMT.
      It is SVBN, not SVBM, if you have Sky Phone rental, you have no option not to be on it. Once you are on it you cannot get off except by cancelling Phone rental and returning to BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Bugger, we get the full package (TV/Broadband/Phone) from Sky....looks like I'm stuck on SVBN (got it right this time ) so not much more speed boost for me

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No, you can still ask them to try your line on G.DMT, it does not matter what you are on to have that done.

Sorry if you misunderstood.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast