Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT The other option, if the socket in the hall is not going to be used(? they ...

MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      The other option, if the socket in the hall is not going to be used(? they rarely are) is to treat it like a junction box (better still fit a junction box in the recess and cover with a single gang blank), do not plug a filter into it & do not plug a phone in, then move on to the socket in the living room & fit the NTE5 & faceplate there. Again all you need is one blue pair on A & B that gives dial tone & the other set of wires go to 2, 3 & 5 on the ADSL faceplate. No filter required in living room & no filter require din bedroom. Socket in living room has ADSL AND telephone ability.
      This sounds like the best (and easiest) option to go for in order to maximise the connection without possibly affecting the connection on the other two sockets. Whilst they aren't used now, they might be used in future.

On another note, when I woke up this morning my internet light had gone back to flashing amber once again (was working fine when I went to bed last night and it hasn't been powered off at all overnight) so I still seem to be having some problems. I'm probably going to need to wait for the 10 day testing period to be over before I can really pester sky about it however as they'll probably just use the excuse "Intermittent connection for the first 10 days" if I call them right away.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Chances are DLM has nothing to do with this issue, nor is it something at the moment that Sky will deal with. Best wait til the wiring is sorted your end and then go from there...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

There isn't actually a problem with the wiring, we've just been discussing how to get the best possible speed out of it. As it is at the moment, the wiring is absolutely fine and has been working, and the phone works fine, just not the broadband.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Until you isolate the ADSL signal at the master socket (or the hall one anyway) from the rest of the wiring you do not know there is no issue, just because the voice side of it works means nothing in terms of a broadband fault.

Personally, I would pull the wires from the hall socket and then fine the incomming pair to just get that one working, then you could try it, get your stats from it an at least know what is the best clean signal you will get.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I think the main problem is that you will be on ADSL2+ which does not perform very well on very long lines such as yours. I think I would phone Sky and ask them to change your line mode to G.DMT(ADSL1) as it is not working with the mode it is on. If they want to fob you off, they will tell you you must wait until DLM is complete, which is a waste of time in my opinion.

As Smithy says, just because your voice line is OK, does not mean the broadband is. Broadband works on higher frequencies than voice and can pick up much more interference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Which it why it would be best to fit the NTE5 as the first socket & proceed as detailed so you have a dedicated ADSL extension and centralised filtering. It sounds long winded but it would take even a DIY'er 1 hour max to do.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Well when I got home today my broadband was still out (out since this morning) so I did give Sky a call, they suggested changing the ADSL filter which I did, and now things seem to be up and running (though this was my third of the three filters they sent me). Though whilst it's running, my connection downstream speed is still down at around 500k

Still, after the 10 days I will look at getting the NTE5 fitted (though I'm still unsure whether to do this in the hallway or the living room) and then get a filtered faceplate on it. Might wait until my dad is back home from working away since he's an engineer. I'm absolutely useless at DIY.
      If there's still no improvement after fitting the NE5 and faceplate, I will give sky a call to request the changeover to G.DMT and see if things improve.

Boy I never thought getting a decent broadband connection would be so much work, lol.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

It's not on short lines - it's the long ones that are the hard work
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
      Still, after the 10 days I will look at getting the NTE5 fitted (though I'm still unsure whether to do this in the hallway or the living room) and then get a filtered faceplate on it.
      The best, assuming the cable from BT goes there, is the hall way. A little more work but then everything is setup as best as it can be. The only reason to not do it that way and fit the NTE in the living room is if you know 100% that the socket in the hall will never be required.

Thinking about it, you could have the socket in the hall live too, all you would have to do is wire back from the living room to the hall, however, i'm guessing you will only have one pair spare so that extension would not have the ring wire on it, no big deal but worth keeping in mind as a lot of phones do still need this.

If you went that route then you would simply join the blue & orange pairs in the hall way socket, then fit the NTE in the living room only this time the spare green pair in the cable from the hall would wire to the filtered connections on the ADSL socket, at the other end(so back in the hall!) these would connect to 2 & 5 on the socket.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

The more into this we get the more confused I get, lol. I'm an IT Analyst, not a Telecom engineer x.x

But let me see if I can get the gist of this, assuming I go down the route of keeping things in the living room.

In the hallway socket, have only the blue & orange cables connected to the already existing faceplate and disconnect the white cable that is currently connected in the hallway to port 5. After this, connect the green cable that currently isn't connected to anything to ports 2 & 5.
      In the living room, using the NTE5 box and filtered faceplate, connect the green cable (which again isn't currently connected) to the ADSL socket, and connect the blue and orange cables to their equivalent ports for the phone socket.

One query I have, you say connect the green pair to ports 2 & 5, however looking at my photo's, the blue cable is currently connected to port 2. Would I have both the green and blue cables connected to port 2? Or the blue cable connected to a different port?

I was also wondering why the green cable is currently disconnected? And what effect will totally disconnecting the white cable that is currently on Port 5 have?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast