Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If possible please remove the faceplates from all your sockets & post pics up, we can then see how it ...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

If possible please remove the faceplates from all your sockets & post pics up, we can then see how it is wired. In reality a few metres of cable will make no difference! However, if the sockets all wire back to the hallway then you will need to either use a filter on the socket where you want the router or one of these sockets instead.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

2. Advertisement
      MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ok, here are my sockets, (click them for bigger images)

Bedroom (With nothing connected except an ADSL Filter. Nothing connected to the filter)

Hallway (Same as the bedroom, ADSL filter and nothing else)

Living Room (ADSL Filter plugged in. Sky router connected to ADSL port, Phone connected to Phone port)

They all seem identical to me

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

First thing to do is to pull out the orange wire on all of them (terminal 3), you don't need it and it can cause noise.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The bedroom, with one cable is at the end of the circuit. The hall and l/room both have 2, but I would guess the hall one is the first in line.

The only way to find out what your maximum speed could be would be to disconnect the wires going to the extensions from the hall socket, plug your router in there and take your stats. Your wiring looks pretty good, so there may not be much difference.
      First thing to do is to pull out the orange wire on all of them (terminal 3), you don't need it and it can cause noise.
      You don't need to do this as the ring wire is fully filtered in the XNTE.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You don't need to do this as the ring wire is fully filtered in the XNTE.
      I understand this but wouldn't the ring wire act as an antenna and introduce noise on the line especially if it is ran with some electric cables, there could be 40ft or more connected between the three sockets, that's a fair size ground loop antenna.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The bedroom, with one cable is at the end of the circuit. The hall and l/room both have 2, but I would guess the hall one is the first in line.

The only way to find out what your maximum speed could be would be to disconnect the wires going to the extensions from the hall socket, plug your router in there and take your stats. Your wiring looks pretty good, so there may not be much difference.

The hallway is the first one in line I believe, as it's pretty much right next to the external box.

I don't think I could disconnect the other two boxes though. 1) I wouldn't know how, 2) the other sockets would be used for normal phones, or at least the living room one will be

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      The external NTE has the bell wire filter so not much point. Ok, where do you want phones & where ideally do you want the router? That wire looks like the thin stuff-is that bare copper i can see in the IDC block? They have to do this with the thin cables as it is too thin to work in the IDC block!

Thanks

Ideally I would prefer to have both the router and the phone in the living room.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I understand this but wouldn't the ring wire act as an antenna
      I have read that the ring wire does not cause problems by acting as an antenna, although this is a common belief, it causes a power imbalance across the pair, which is the real problem. The extension wiring can act as an antenna and pick up interference, which is why it should be isolated whenever possible.

I don't think I could disconnect the other two boxes though
      You would just be removing the wires in the hall socket. You would have to find, by trial and error which are the incoming pair, unless you have a volt meter. Without the proper tool to replace the wires it may not be a good idea to remove them, although I find the edge of a credit card is a good substitute.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ha, i knew you would say that! OK, the easy option would only cut out the bedroom extension from the ADSL equation. The best option is to do the following :-

Fit NTE5 & ADSL faceplate in hall, one cable will be from BT, the other will feed all the other sockets, only way to find out with no tools is trial & error. One blue pair connected to A & B on the NTE5 will give you dial tone, the other will be dead. Once you have that sorted you want to connect the OTHER set of wires to 2, 3 & 5 on the ADSL faceplate (replicate how they were connected to the original socket). In that same cable use the spare green pair and connect this to A & B on the ADSL FACEPLATE.

Now move on to the socket in the living room, remove the blue & orange pairs and join them like for like, a telecom engineer would use gel crimps but if you neatly twist them together and insulate with tape that will work fine. Now take the green pair and connect to 5 & 2 on the existing socket, if you get dial tone(via a filter) you have the correct pair, if not then try the other green pair from the other cable.

The socket upstairs should work as is without a filter. The socket in the living room will need a filter OR use that socket i linked to before. The socket in the hall will not need a filter. What you then have is the abilty to issolate internal wiring if required and have centralised filtering. To be honest it's a bit of work for a DIY'er to not achieve much!

The other option, if the socket in the hall is not going to be used(? they rarely are) is to treat it like a junction box (better still fit a junction box in the recess and cover with a single gang blank), do not plug a filter into it & do not plug a phone in, then move on to the socket in the living room & fit the NTE5 & faceplate there. Again all you need is one blue pair on A & B that gives dial tone & the other set of wires go to 2, 3 & 5 on the ADSL faceplate. No filter required in living room & no filter require din bedroom. Socket in living room has ADSL AND telephone ability.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast