Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Brand New User

This is a discussion on Brand New User within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Don't suppose there are any guides (with pictures preferably) to fitting a new faceplate are there? I'll go take a ...

MaxxPower is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01642
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Brand New User

Don't suppose there are any guides (with pictures preferably) to fitting a new faceplate are there?
      I'll go take a look at some of the reviews people have posted to find the 'best' one for me, though recommendations are also welcome.

I think I'm going to go for one regardless just to make sure I'm getting the best (and fastest) connection I can.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Faceplate wise I've used both the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 and the BT NTE2000 faceplates and both are as good as eachother. Fitting is literally take off old faceplate, make a note of which colour cable go to which pin and mirror it on the new faceplate and screw it on. 5 minute job
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Ahh so the plate only replaces the lower part of the front of the box, you don't have to take the entire socket box out of the wall. That's what I was worried about having to do, heh.

Still, no clue which one to go for, so I might just go for the BT one since it's a BT phoneline.

Just to mention, the house is brand new and has one of those new grey BT Openreach boxes on the front of it. Don't know if that should make any difference to my internet connection.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you have an XNTE box outside, you probably will not have an NTE5 socket. Your 'master' socket will be the first one on the line in from outside, it will not have a test socket. You can convert this to an NTE5 if you wish.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hm, would converting it to an NTE5 socket make a difference if I put one in then added a flitered faceplate? Could this improve my connection speed and the noise on the line?

The first socket from the line in is almost certainly the one in the hallway, as the BT box is right by the front door, and the hallway socket is less than a foot in.

Thanks

Fitting and using an NTE5 with a filtered faceplate would isolate your internal wiring and would improve your broadband connection. Whether it would improve it enough to be worthwhile in your case, is debatable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hmm, well I'll check out my sockets when I get home and see what's what.

Quick question mind, what is an XNTE box exactly? Is it the new way that BT are wiring phone lines into newly built houses?

Thanks

Yes the box contains the equivalent of the NTE5 socket, which traditionally has been inside the house. It is a step backwards for the user, but it allows BT to check lines without access to the house.

Giving it some thought you would not need to fit an NTE5, fitting one of these, which is meant to replace an normal extension would do the job.
      XTF-68/85 - Pre-filtered Telephone Socket - ADSL Nation

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Looks good, I'll just need to measure up my existing box to check which one I should buy. For 9 it would be worth it even for a minor speed increase.

I'll also post up my exact stats when I get home aswell, the figures I posted earlier were rough ones from memory, but I do believe them to be roughly correct.

Am I also right in assuming that downstream speed should be higher than upstream speed? My upstream is (or at least was when I left the house this morning) 200kb faster than my downstream

Thanks

In most cases it is, DLM seems to set the upstream first on occasions, then works on the downstream.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast