Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Started with 12mb - then DLM - now 3mb

This is a discussion on Started with 12mb - then DLM - now 3mb within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The line is definitely on g.dmt, but if your line is producing a lot of errors whilst uncapped then the ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Started with 12mb - then DLM - now 3mb

The line is definitely on g.dmt, but if your line is producing a lot of errors whilst uncapped then the best option would be to probably just uncap it slightly/cap it to a stable speed for use of a better phrase. For instance, here's my line (I'm 12.6km from the exchange)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1472 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 57 db 31 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 9 db

Uncap it any more, say to 1.6mbps, and I produce around 35k CRCs in around 18 odd hours or so and the d/s SNR will drop below 7db quite frequently.

It'll just be a case of finding the 'sweet-spot' between stability and speed at this point (unless you have a REIN issue that's causing a lot of noise spurts and such).

EDIT:

Ok, I just realised I hadn't read the whole thread, so my input above is kind of random haha! Have sky suggested they're not going to do anything more and just for you to monitor it until the call-back?

2. Advertisement
      skeeto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ballyclare
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the feedback

Well, just been off the phone to CST and yes, I had been put onto G.DMT after the engineer visit as both you and Isitme stated...

Following some more line tests the support guy has brought me down to 10mb or so, as this is the fastest speed before the errors start to race up...he indicated that there were still errors building up but removed the DLM from the line so i should not drop from this speed.

A new router is in the post as well...i am due a call back in a week on the new router to see if there is any improvement on the number of errors.

Here are my stats from the master socket as of now:

Connection Speed 10235 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31 db 15 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 16 db

Many thanks again everyone who has replied on this one, i am very grateful for all the help and feedback...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

.he indicated that there were still errors building up but removed the DLM from the line so i should not drop from this speed.
      That is not strictly correct. If your noise margin falls it may cause the line to disconnect and resync at a lower speed.

I would still advise you to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. This will remove any chance of interference from the internal wiring.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is not strictly correct. If your noise margin falls it may cause the line to disconnect and resync at a lower speed.

I would still advise you to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. This will remove any chance of interference from the internal wiring.
      Thanks for the advice...you are right again...

I did have a couple of disconnects at around 6.30pm to 7.30pm tonight, it has resynched at 7776kbps and this seems to have sorted out the instability. I would be happy with this if it stays solid...maybe this is my "sweet spot".

I will give the replacement router a go and fit a filtered faceplate as well to see if I can squeeze anymore out of it.

Thanks again for all your help, it really makes a difference when trying to get a handle on this stuff...

Thanks

it has resynched at 7776kbps and this seems to have sorted out the instability.
      This is very low for your attenuation, you should have nearly double that, a filtered faceplate may sort it out.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Wam7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media Homeworks+ 300Mb
      Router: Asus AC68U
      Sky TV: SkyQ 1TB
      Thanks

This is very low for your attenuation, you should have nearly double that, a filtered faceplate may sort it out.
      Yes definitely. For that attenuation I would be expecting to connect and hold ~13Mbps.
      Also your S/N is high. See if you can get to the customer solutions team and find out what your S/N is set to. It should be able to hold 7 S/N, which in turn will increase your connection speed. Only errors on the line will prevent it from doing that.

My attenuation is 35db and my exchange is aournd 1KM away. My connections were at best 10400. I've since changed the micro filter to a decent one, and the router to a Draytek Vigor and now it connects at 12700.

I've also noticed that I get better connection speeds when I reset the router in the early afternoon as opposed to the night.

Thanks

Also your S/N is high. See if you can get to the customer solutions team and find out what your S/N is set to.
      The line has been capped to counteract errors, hence the high noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

The line has been capped to counteract errors, hence the high noise margin.
      Update: New Sagem router arrived today, just plugged in and stats from the master socket are as follows:

Connection Speed 10235 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 31.0 db 14.7 db
      Noise Margin 8.2 db 15.9 db

This seems to have improved things drastically and the flurry of errors appears to have dropped right off. Just need to call and do the tests with the new router now to see if the speed can be upped at all...and to buy a filtered faceplate...

Cheers everyone for all of your help and suggestions

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skeeto View Post
      Update: New Sagem router arrived today, just plugged in and stats from the master socket are as follows:

Noise Margin 8.2 db 15.9 db

This seems to have improved things drastically and the flurry of errors appears to have dropped right off. Just need to call and do the tests with the new router now to see if the speed can be upped at all...and to buy a filtered faceplate...

Cheers everyone for all of your help and suggestions
      One day on and my stats are as follows:

Noise Margin 9.4 db 15.9 db

I called last night and support said I would be put back on DLM but the connection speed is leading me to think I am still capped at 10235bps. If so, should I call back and get the cap released?

Maybe I am being impatient. I am pleased with this speed, the connection has been rock solid for the past 24 hours since i got the new modem...but maybe I can get more out of it.

The thing is, what is the benefit of 12mb compared to 10mb to be honest...for 10 a month unlimited this is pretty good...

By the way, thanks to all who contributed...the responses on the forum definitely are a very valuable resource. Thanks especially to "Isitme" who seems to follow most threads and provides great advice...it is very much appreciated.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You could push out some more, but we're talking a meg at very most. I'd personally keep it where it is - it's nothing you're really going to notice by increasing it and it may cause the instability again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast