Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Connection Problem

This is a discussion on Sky Connection Problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Howide, Bear with me and ill give a run down on what the problem is: Had Sky everyday since Oct ...

aidi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dorset
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Connection Problem

Howide,

Bear with me and ill give a run down on what the problem is:

Had Sky everyday since Oct 08, never once did it drop, degrade or slow down. Constant connection around 4mbits and i was happy as larry.

Upgraded to unlimited in Jan 10, no problem with switch over, pretty much the same speed (i wanted the unlimited option)

Went away for a week 8-14th Feb, came back to find no internet connection. Called Sky and they said (and my account confirms) DLM was run which ended on the 12th Feb.

CST looked at my line and reconfigured it (whatever they do at their end) and got me a connection back. It ran fine for about 3 hours then died a death. (download speeds down to about 20k)

When rebooting the router, it would connect at various different speeds. Sometimes 256k, then 480, the back to 256, up to 864 and so on. Very rarely if ever did it reconnect at the same speed.

Called them again, did their thing.. told me there were a lot of errors on the line. Got my speed back only for it to drop off a few hours later. Called Sky again, this time they said new router on its way. Same probl

Got the new router, exactly the same problem. BT engineer was then put on the task. He called me from the exchange and said he was on his way. Arrived and ran various tests. went off and checked from the green box etc. Said he could see 3.5mbit downstream... Sky had a day or so earlier limited my line to 3884mbit to see if it would stabalize, so with the BT Eng seeing this, it looked promising. He was seeing loads of CRC errors, at which point he swapped out the NTE5 plate to a new one and re tested. CRC errors greatly reduced.

He called sky and asked if they could see his equipment connected, which they could at 3.5mbits. Sky are now sending out a Segam router. The previous two routers i got from sky were the Netgear ones.

I also have a Linksys WAG354 which i have configured for Sky and plugged that in. Much the same results. Inconsistant connection speeds and dumps out after a couple of hours.

Just to add, i have tried with a dedicated ADSLNation face plate, the one BT installed today and with the filter direct into the test socket. I have also tried with it to 2 desktop PC's, my notebook and a laptop!!

So, Sky are saying they see no problem, BT are saying line is good and i have tried the new router sent by sky and one of my own and the original with all the same results.

I dont hold much hope for a 4th router (the segam one) resolving the problem... I have even gone to the extreme of turning every powered item off and only the PC, Router and Monitor plugged in.

Does anyone have any idea on what i need to do, or steps to take in order to get back to the level of service which i had for near on a year and half?

Current rotuer stats from the linksys WAG354:

DSL Status: UP
      DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT
      DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED
      Downstream Rate: 1024 Kbps
      Upstream Rate: 352 Kbps
      Downstream Margin: 16 db
      Upstream Margin: 17 db
      Downstream Line Attenuation: 54
      Upstream Line Attenuation: 31
      Downstream Transmit Power: 0
      Upstream Transmit Power: 0

PVC Connection

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
      Multiplexing: VC
      Qos: VBR
      Pcr Rate: 100
      Scr Rate: 100
      Autodetect: Disable
      VPI: 0
      VCI: 38
      Enable: Yes
      PVC Status: Applied

The Sky CST have been great and i dont feel as if i have been fobbed off. Always trying different things to see if they can get it to work. BT guys did what they could, so i am not slagging off anyone.

Any advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds
      Aidi

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: Sky Connection Problem

Looking at your noise margin you seem to be quite heavily capped. If you have had work done on your line, call them up and ask them to lift the cap. I can't see what difference another router will make if your line is capped.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

aidi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dorset
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connection Problem

They had capped my line at 1024 so i could at least have some form of connection whilst waiting for the Segam modem to arrive.

Well, it arrived today, plugged it in and it synced straight away at 1024. Called Sky, and within a matter of minutes synced at over 4.5mbits!

Very happy now, its been up all afternoon so at the moment its nice and stable.

As i said before, Sky CST were great and did everything thing they could, so hats off to them!

Best Rgds
      Aidi