Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

This is a discussion on Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Over the past month or so, my connection/download speeds have been dropping. Im a lucky guy in that ...

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

Hi all,

Over the past month or so, my connection/download speeds have been dropping. Im a lucky guy in that I live approx 500M from my exchange and normally connect at around 14MB (Max Package). This has now dropped to 8MB.
      I contacted Sky about this and their reply is below. The problem I know have is that I can hardly connect at all and when I do, it drops out soon after.
      Ive posted my current router stats for evaluation and Ive also posted results from March 2008 when I last went through this. These latter results gave me excellent stability To me, the results between today and March 2008 seem similar so I dont think the issue is at my end which is what Sky are implying (naturally). I guess Ill have to go through the whole process of taking the router to the master socket, disconnect everything bar the router, use my Netbook to connect with RJ45 cable and re-do the stats. Will then do the same with the Netbook at the socket where the PC is connected.
      Finally with regards the attenuation and noise margin values, am I correct in thinking that the lower the attenuation value and higher the noise margin values the better? What sort of values should I be getting?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Mark
      Thank you for your email about the drop in your connection speed. Im sorry this issue has caused you concern and hope my reply below clarifies the position for you.
      I have checked your line this morning and can confirm there was a Dynamic Line Management tool running on your line. This tool will start automatically if there are errors building on your line. I have stopped this and manually reconfigured your connection to a downstream speed of 16mbps.

While doing this I noticed you have errors accumulating on your line. This is due to a home set up issue and these errors will continue to build until this is resolved. Errors slow down your connection speed over time and can cause disconnections if not resolved.
      Please ensure that your setup is correct.

Ensure that your router is connected to your main telephone point (if this is too far away then instead of using an extension socket or cable you can get a longer Ethernet cable or wireless adapter)
      Ensure you have no extension cables connected to the router
      Make sure that there is a microfilter on every telephone point in use
      If you Sky TV is connected to the telephone line, then please make sure that the adapter which connects it to the telephone point is going into the telephone side of the microfilter and not vice versa. Try and change the microfilter.
      I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Technical team on 08442 410515, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Thanks
      Sky Help Centre

Sunday 28-02-10 PC Room (extension socket)
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10797 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 db 10.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 8.5 db

Results from 3rd March 2008 using the old Mognuts Utility
      /usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 16382 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.1 13.5
      Attn(dB): 17.0 9.4
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 17312 864
      Rate (Kbps): 16382 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 239(0) 24
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 63 68
      B: 238 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 2 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 0.4658 7.7037
      L: 4379 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 146185 146183
      SFErr: 0 1
      RS: 20173586 1242555
      RSCorr: 14405 0
      RSUnCorr: 0 0

HEC: 0 0
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 90801999 4220305
      Data Cells: 381026 45930
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 0 1
      SES: 0 81
      UAS: 14 134610
      Total time = 39 min 29 sec
      SF = 146185
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 1 day time = 39 min 29 sec
      SF = 146185
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Latest 15 minutes time = 9 min 29 sec
      SF = 35458
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55986
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 54741
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

try your master/test socket, chances are the extention is what's causing the issue
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have Sky phone rental?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      try your master/test socket, chances are the extention is what's causing the issue
      Thanks IWasNotTheEnemy,

Can you tell from the results that the extension is the problem? Comparing the two sets of results, in terms of attenuation and noise margin, they seem similar. The ones taken back in 2008 were when the connection was perfect and stable at 16MB.

I'm far from expert at this stuff and would like to learn as much as poss.

Thanks

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you have Sky phone rental?
      Yes I do have Sky Phone rental. Switched over from BT line rental a while back.

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Then you are probably on SVBN, Sky's new 'highspeed' network. They are having problems with it, but will not admit to it. See-
      Lost speed with move to SVBN

To be honest there is little similarity in your present stats and your previous ones, they look like two different lines.

Take your stats from the Test socket anyway, just in case something has change in your internal set up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I doubt the SVBN is the issue, although without trying the master/test socket we can't tell for sure...

to the OP - the SNR is low on your extention yet the attenuation is also low so the speeds you used to have are to be expected. Best thing is to try the master/test socket and you shuld either see an increase in speed or an increase in SNR leading to more speed available after calling Sky again...give it a go and repost your stats

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I doubt the SVBN is the issue, although without trying the master/test socket we can't tell for sure...

to the OP - the SNR is low on your extention yet the attenuation is also low so the speeds you used to have are to be expected. Best thing is to try the master/test socket and you shuld either see an increase in speed or an increase in SNR leading to more speed available after calling Sky again...give it a go and repost your stats
      Will do a test from the Master Socket tomorrow and post back. Am in work tonight.

What I intend to do is the following. Please let me know if it's good enough..

Have already done router stats for the PC on extension socket in bedroom

Next take router to Master socket and connect it (disconnecting everything else so that the only thing on the line will be the router). Connect this to Netbook hardwired and disabling wireless. Collect stats and check stability

Lastly reconnect router to extension socket in PC room uising Netbook and collect stats.

That should give 3 sets of results...(1) PC on extension (2) Router on master socket with Netbook (3) Router on phone extension in PC room with Netbook.

Would this give enough info?

Thanks for help guys

Thanks

first point is fine, but if you've got a test socket as well then get stats from here too...2nd set of stats from extention isn't neccessary but if you want to include them then do so

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

first point is fine, but if you've got a test socket as well then get stats from here too...2nd set of stats from extention isn't neccessary but if you want to include them then do so
      Thanks for the help again IWasNotTheEnemy

OK - got in from work & getting the stats was the first thing I did - it's been bugging me.

First thing is that my master socket is an old type - no test point. In fact, it looks just like an ordinary extension socket. However it is into this socket that the phone line goes to from outside.

28th Feb 2010

Router connected to extension socket in PC room
      Connection Speed 10797 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 19.0 db 10.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 8.5 db

1ST March 2010

Router connected to Master Socket with Netbook (Ethernet. Wireless disabled)
      Connection Speed 16383 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 db 8.9 db
      Noise Margin 12.1 db 12.5 db

Router connected to extension socket in PC room with Netbook (Ethernet. Wireless disabled)
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 13.0 db

Repeat of check carried out yesterday - Router connected to extension socket in PC room
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.5 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 13.0 db

Everything is totally stable today - connecting at 16.3MB whether at master socket or PC room. Don't know what's happened overnight to be honest. Do these things take time to bed in after Sky make their adjustments?

I would still appreciate your feedback on the stats though and let me know if there's anything I need to do. Don't think it will get much better than this at the mo.

I know some of you guys work/have worked for Sky. Should I respond to their email quoting these stats?

All the best

Dumfy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast