Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

This is a discussion on Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; "[QUOTE=Isitme;267022] Yes and No. Yes it will cure the problems caused by your internal wiring, but No, you must use ...

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

"[QUOTE=Isitme;267022]
      Yes and No. Yes it will cure the problems caused by your internal wiring, but No, you must use the filtered faceplate. The faceplate works by isolating the internal wiring from the ADSL signal. Obviously if the wiring is isolated from the signal you will not get broadband on it."

Thanks for the info...
      OK...if my thinking is right, there's not much point in me fitting a filtered faceplate if I still have to connect the router directly to it and not on an extension ...(now I know why). I may as well connect the router directly to the master socket and try some different Homeplugs and hope for the best.

"[QUOTE=Isitme;267022]
      I'm a bit confused by what type of Master socket you have. Is it like this a) - How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket or this b) - http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

From the photos it's the latter type. . . .but this is where it's gets confusing so bear with me...
      The phoneline comes into the rear of the house at back bedroom on 2nd floor. It connects to a normal extension type socket and the wiring going into it is the old BT type - ie..red, green, black, orange and white. Only two wires are connected to the rear of the socket where the Blue/White and White/Blue would go

Directly under this room there is another phone socket. This one has the BT logo on it and is like the one in the above, second jpeg. I did think this was the master socket at first - but if I go back upstairs to the bedroom and disconnect the plug from it's socket (where the old BT wiring comes in) the whole house goes dead as far as the phoneline is concerned.
      If I leave that plugged in, go back downstairs and unplug the cable from the BT designated master, the router still works, but the cordless phone is dead.

Somewhat baffling. I've no idea why it's like this - previous owners I guess. All stats I've posted here are with the router plugged into the "master socket" in the bedroom.

Ultimately it seems my only option is to connect the router to the back bedroom "master" socket and use Homeplugs - which brings me full circle to the issue I had with the Solwise ones. I will probably give the Devolo ones a try - but if they keep dropping connection like the Solwise did, I'll probably give up and go bury my head in a bucket!

The real frustrating part about this is that I've long been an avid PC fan - building and upgrading etc - and have always wanted to have a really good broadband connection to download updates, Internet Radio, stream stuff etc. I now live less than 500m from my exchange and should be able to achieve blistering speed - and here I am...ho hum!

Any recommendations - like where to buy a cheap bucket maybe??

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The phoneline comes into the rear of the house at back bedroom on 2nd floor. It connects to a normal extension type socket and the wiring going into it is the old BT type - ie..red, green, black, orange and white. Only two wires are connected to the rear of the socket where the Blue/White and White/Blue would go
      It looks like this is your master socket. Can you get the stats from there by just plugging the filter into the faceplate with nothing else connected except the router.
      From what you say, I am thinking that your extensions are the plug in type and not hardwired to the socket as they would normally be. Something like this - 4cleanerfloors - Avix Plug-In Telephone Extension Kit

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like this is your master socket. Can you get the stats from there by just plugging the filter into the faceplate with nothing else connected except the router.
      From what you say, I am thinking that your extensions are the plug in type and not hardwired to the socket as they would normally be. Something like this - 4cleanerfloors - Avix Plug-In Telephone Extension Kit
      All the extensions are the plug in type as in the jpeg - but what's going on under the floorboards is anybody's guess.

These are the stats from the router connected to the suspected master socket in the back bedroom.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18243 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.0 db 11.5 db

When I asked Sky to remove the cap and put my speed back up, all the figures were practically identical - apart from the download connection speed which was then 20Mbps. It's dropped due to me moving the router around.

For the past couple of days, the router has been back on the extension socket due to me returning the Solwise plugs and my stats have been consistent (see below) - but I am aware that the internal noise will no doubt return.

Could an ADSL filter or bad "master" socket be the source of noise? I guess so - but it seems my line has been stable since plugging/unplugging stuff from the "master" socket

Connection Speed 17653 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.6 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 11.5 db

Thanks again

Dumfy

Thanks

It could be a dodgy filter, but I think it more likely to be the extension wiring itself that is causing the problem. The reading from the 'master' socket is about the best you will get and when you get your new homeplugs, plug the router back in there. Remember that when you do the filter must be plugged into the socket first, then the extension plug leading to your other sockets plugged into the phone side of the filter.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Isitme,

As you've been so kind in helping me understand this problem, I thought I'd feedback the latest. There's some no-so-good news and some really good.

The not-so-good.........the Devolo Homeplugs arrived and had the same issues as the Solwise. At one point I was downloading at 2.85Mb/s (!) then all the way down to zero, lost connection and so on. Devolo were helpful with some suggestions but none worked. They're to be returned too. So the problem must be noise again - but this time on my house wiring.

As the Homeplugs were my last hope, I decided to try and find out what was causing the noise in my internal phone wiring. Long story short - under the floorboards in our bedroom was an extension socket that appeared to be fed from the Master - judging by general run of the cable. Plugged into this extension were two plugs, piggy-backed together wrapped in insulation tape - supplying a socket in the lounge and the socket that the router was plugged into.

I separated this out as the socket in the lounge is not required and just plugged the router in. Since doing this the line has been stable with the stats below. All figures have remained constant for the past several days. I have powered the router off/on to confrim and so far, so good. Download speeds as indicated in my download manager are around 2Mb/s - with no fluctuation.

Connection Speed 18000 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 16.5 db 9.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 11.5 db

On Tuesday, I am due to be switched over to Sky's SVBN service. I have requested an opt-out of this due to the problems mentioned here on the forums. Sky replied and said they were disappointed by my request, but have passed it on to the relevant dept anyway. It'll be interesting to see what happens to my sync speed if they "ignore" my request and switch me over anyway. I'll feedback.

I really hope this is the noise problem sorted. Thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed.

Dumfy

Thanks

Plugged into this extension were two plugs, piggy-backed together wrapped in insulation tape - supplying a socket in the lounge and the socket that the router was plugged into.
      It looks like you have had a Roy Rodgers in your house before you. If this was done with the phone line, there is a good chance they may have done something similar with the power circuit which may account for your lack of success with the Homeplugs. Maybe a check by a competent electrician would be in order?

Let's hope your broadband problems are over,

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234