Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

This is a discussion on Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK - everything going great, but........... Unforseen problem with the Solwise Homeplug set-up. Don't get me wrong, these are a ...

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

OK - everything going great, but...........

Unforseen problem with the Solwise Homeplug set-up.

Don't get me wrong, these are a great invention and a piece of cake to install and set up and for everyday web surfing are excellent, but for downloading things off the Web like software updates or trial programs they've been problematic.

Using a download manager, the speed is normally very good and consistent - around 1.5MB - but going via the Solwise plugs, this drops to around a max of 200KB and drops right down to a crawl and then connection is lost altogether. It then reconnects and the circle starts again. Have installed and tried the software that came with the plugs, but no joy.

Anyone else had this problem?

I guess the obvious thing is not to use the Solwise plugs - which puts me back to the first step - using the plugs to overcome line noise and connect straight to master phone socket.

Ho Hum

Dumy

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Do you have the plugs in wall sockets? They do not perform well if plugged into an extension cable or surge suppressor. If they are not performing as they should, send an email to Solwise explaining the problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Do you have the plugs in wall sockets? They do not perform well if plugged into an extension cable or surge suppressor. If they are not performing as they should, send an email to Solwise explaining the problem.
      Thanks Isitme.

Both plugs were in short extension leads at different locations in the house. I had read somewhere that it souldn't be a problem using the Homeplugs this way. Perhaps that info wasn't correct.

However, I have avoided using them in filtered/surge protection sockets/extensions as they definately cause problems.

I have emailed Solwise so will report back here when I get a reply. I did forget to mention these details to them though - so I guess that'll be their first suggestion.

From your reply, am I correct in thinking that I shouldn't be experiencing these low download speeds and drop-outs?

Cheers

Thanks

You should not be experiencing any reduction in speed. Even if you are using the slower 85Mbps plugs they should be more than capable of carrying Internet speeds. Try plugging them directly into wall sockets, remember that the ethernet cables can be longer with no penalty in speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You should not be experiencing any reduction in speed. Even if you are using the slower 85Mbps plugs they should be more than capable of carrying Internet speeds. Try plugging them directly into wall sockets, remember that the ethernet cables can be longer with no penalty in speed.
      I am indeed (was) using the 85Mbps plugs. I've had a reply from Solwise and they've never come across this before either. I've replied to their questions - mainly where are the plugs fitted - so we'll see.

At the moment, I'm not in the master phone socket, but back on the PC room extension. I have disconnected all unnecessary stuff from the rest of the phone line and also fitted new adsl filters. My stats are below and have so far (touching a big piece of wood!) stable. The sync speed has dropped from 20Mbps to 17.6Mbps but I can sure live with that if the noise stays away.

What's interesting is that while the speed has dropped a little, the noise margin is the same.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17699 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 17.0 db 9.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 11.0 db

Cheers!

Dumfy

Thanks

What's interesting is that while the speed has dropped a little, the noise margin is the same.
      That is how it works. Where you are plugged in now has some interference which causes the noise margin to drop until the connection drops. It will then negotiate with the exchange for the best speed it can get with the default noise margin of 6.9dbs. If you returned it to the previous position it will do the same, this time connecting at the higher speed, but with the same noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I contacted Solwise tech support and they haven't got a clue. From the reply I had, as they have never seen this problem before, they don't seem bothered about looking into it any further. The support dept didn't even suggest that one of the units could be faulty, there could be a problem with the network cables - nothing.

In one last effort to try, I used all new ethernet cables, eliminated each of the three Solwise plugs individually, plugged them straight into mains sockets and avoided extension leads. Although my connection didn't drop out this time, the speed did drop from 2Mbps download speed to roughly 500Kbps and would vary between these values. This was with router connected to Master Socket. So the plugs are being returned to Solwise for refund.

This meant I had to put router back on extension socket by the PC and since my last post here on 26th March the line has been very good - connected at 20Mbps with attenuation = 15dB and noise margin 7.1dB.
      However, things have started to go bad again today with noise margin reducing and my download speed dropping.

So a couple more questions....could it still be a problem with my internal wiring if I get good connection for a long period and then it degrades? Surely it would be degraded all the time?

If I do have to go with Homeplugs - and there's no telling if I'll have the same issue with an alternative manufacturer - who would be better? Netgear or Devolo or other?

Thanks again

Dumfy

ps...forgot to add. Got a letter from Sky saying that my line is being moved over to their new system on 20th April. I guess by that they mean the SVBN stuff? Should I hang off on doing anything until then? Could the changeover improve matters or make things worse?

Thanks

So a couple more questions....could it still be a problem with my internal wiring if I get good connection for a long period and then it degrades? Surely it would be degraded all the time?
      The internal wiring acts like an aerial picking up interference. This means that from one minute to the next the interference can be high or low, as the electrical noise constantly varies. Using the Test socket or a filtered faceplate these 'aerials' are completely isolated and will have no effect on the connection.

Could the changeover improve matters or make things worse?
      Unfortunately, I have not seen one report where things have improved. This does not mean it will not improve as people are not likely to post when they get an improvement, only when things degrade.

Your main problem is with your internal wiring. Fitting and using an NTE5 socket with a filtered faceplate work solve it.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The internal wiring acts like an aerial picking up interference. This means that from one minute to the next the interference can be high or low, as the electrical noise constantly varies. Using the Test socket or a filtered faceplate these 'aerials' are completely isolated and will have no effect on the connection.

Unfortunately, I have not seen one report where things have improved. This does not mean it will not improve as people are not likely to post when they get an improvement, only when things degrade.

Your main problem is with your internal wiring. Fitting and using an NTE5 socket with a filtered faceplate work solve it.
      Hi Isitme,

Thanks for your continuing help - appreciated.

OK - so main problem is internal wiring and how to overcome it. Am I right in thinking that if I fit an NTE5 socket with a filtered faceplate this will cure the noise on my internal wiring? I can then use the router on the same extension socket and not need to connect to the master?

If so, this sounds a better option than going the Homeplug route. Is fitting this faceplate something I can do myself and is the NTE5 socket easily available for me to buy or something that has to be fitted by BT/Sky?

I looked at the master socket earlier and there's only two wires connected in it - namely to the Blue/White and White/Blue pins. To all intents and purposes, it doesn't look like a master socket, but an extension one. It must be the master though because if I remove the BT plug that's connected to the front of it, all other sockets in the house are dead. Also the two wires connected in it must be the old colour scheme (green & orange I think) but they are wired into Blue/White and White/Blue.

Thanks again for the help. I think I'll email Sky and request that I'm not put on to their SVBN. Will they do this? I've been a Sky customer for several years and switched to Sky Line Rental about 6 months ago.

Dumfy

Thanks

Am I right in thinking that if I fit an NTE5 socket with a filtered faceplate this will cure the noise on my internal wiring? I can then use the router on the same extension socket and not need to connect to the master?
      Yes and No. Yes it will cure the problems caused by your internal wiring, but No, you must use the filtered faceplate. The faceplate works by isolating the internal wiring from the ADSL signal. Obviously if the wiring is isolated from the signal you will not get broadband on it.

I'm a bit confused by what type of Master socket you have. Is it like this a) - How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket or this b) - http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/LJU2_1A_rear.jpg

It is probably worth asking not to be put on the SVBN, I know some others have, but I don't know the result.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast