Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

This is a discussion on Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As suspected, it is your internal wiring that is causing the issue, you would be much better leaving the router ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Stats & D/L Speed Dropping

As suspected, it is your internal wiring that is causing the issue, you would be much better leaving the router connected to the master socket via a filtered faceplate and running an ethernet cable from there rather than using the extension.

If you look at your stats from the master socket, you will see that the attenuation is lower and the noise margin is higher, (all good), with these stats you should get 20mb never mind the 16mb you are getting now.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your figures have now returned to what they were a year ago. For some reason your attenuation had increased to 19 dbs now it has returned to the original 17. Ignore the 15.5, this is a bug in the router stats that causes this on the DG834GT. This could be caused by some physical work being done on your line or by configuration done by Sky on the line.

As you don't have an NTE5 socket you cannot fit and use a filtered faceplate, which would possibly give you another 1 or 2 Mb on your speed, your best bet would be to look at the faceplate of your master socket and remove any wires connected to terminal 3. This could give you an improvement at your PC room socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Seems I was right, Sky wouldn't have done anything to the line config as I'm assuming you've not called them? It's just a noise issue using your extention. As said above, keep the router in the master and run wirelessly or runs Ethernet to your PC or look into Homeplugs
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers All,

I haven't called Sky - only the original email asking why my speed had halved.

Line still stable 12 hrs later, but I am confused (not difficult for me really) as to the suggestion to still move the router to master socket.

Looking at the stats, there is a change in attenuation and noise margin between the master socket and extension socket. However, the download speeds are identical at 16.3MB. To me, if that change was detrimental, it would have affected and reduced my download speed? But it is the same.

Since Sky removed the dynamic line management tool, my connection was initially very erratic and dropping out, but over the past 24hrs it has stabilsed to the router stats this morning.

When Sky mentioned that there are errors on the line and that is what activated the DLM system, are those errors caused by the change in attenuation and noise margin values between the sockets?

It's strange as I was connecting constantly at 14MB up until a few weeks ago when suddenly my speed dropped by half. I figured Sky must have done something to the exchange as nothing had changed at my end. Now after Sky did their bit, I'm back to where I was in 2008 which is fantastic.

It was suggested in one of the above posts that, as I don't have a standard master socket, I should remove the wire from Pin #3. No problem doing this, but what does pin #3 do exactly?

I will look in to the Homeplug/Powerline system. It may be handy as I have an HDX1000 Network Media Tank in the lounge which isn't networked and this system could provide a solution.
      May need a separate thread for this, but anybody know which is the best system to go for...Netgear or Devolo? And lastly would an 85MB system be good enough as the max speed the 200MB system goes is 100MB! Would the system enable me to maintain 16MB download.

Once again, really appreciate the feedback and help

Dumfy

Thanks

The better stats show that your line is capped at 16mb which is why the speed doesn't increase, if the cap was removed then it would. Just because you have not altered your setup does not mean that it is correct, using an extension is one of the most common ways of introducing noise onto you line which is what you are doing and as things age they become easier to interfere with.

Homeplugs are a very good way of connecting via wire without the need for wires to be ran around the home, I use Solwise 85mb plugs and happily stream HD when needed.

Homeplugs will not alter your sync speed, this is all down to the router connection but it will ensure a good connection between networked devices, I would stay away from the Netgear Homeplugs, just because I have read some poor reviews regarding customer service but you should easily be able to get a pair for 40 or less on e-bay, you could try the Commtrend ones, these are shipped out by BT and people sell them on if they don't need them for a bargain price, especially as some of them are 200mb.

Thanks

It was suggested in one of the above posts that, as I don't have a standard master socket, I should remove the wire from Pin #3. No problem doing this, but what does pin #3 do exactly?
      The wire connected to Terminal 3 is the Ring or Bell wire. Basically, this takes power from the main line to enable old type phones to ring. This can cause a lot of interference on ADSL. With modern phones and when using filters, it is not required and can be disconnected. Many find that this increases the noise margin, thus enabling a higher sync speed. The iPlate, which you may have read about, does much the same thing. It is only usable on NTE5 sockets.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi All,

Quick update and an evaluation of my latest stats would be great thanks.

Within days of my last post, my download speed started to drop right off again and at several times I couldn't connect at all. Checked the router stats and the noise margin went into negative dB territory a few times!

So took the plunge and bought some Solwise Powerplugs as recommended and have now got the router permenantly connected to the BT Master Socket along with cordless phone via a filter. Nothing else at all on the circuit and these are my stats...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 16383 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 db 8.9 db
      Noise Margin 13.3 db 11.5 db

These have been consistent for the past week. Now not to be greedy, is this the max download speed I can expect, or should I be able to go higher?
      And how easy are those Homeplugs - wish I'd done it sooner.

Thanks for all the help

Dumfy

Thanks

I think you will push the full 20mb out with those stats but a call to Sky will be required.

Homeplugs are great, I use them and recommend them to everyone.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Here's the latest..

I emailed Sky with a copy of the router stats and asked for any line cap to be removed etc. Same day I had a reply saying I'm now connected at 20MB download. Sure enough - I am. Interestingly, as a result of this, my downstream noise margin has halved, but attenuation is consistent. Is this to expected? I'm still connected to Master Socket.

23rd March 2010
      Router at Master Socket
      Connection Speed 16383 kbps 798 kbps
      Noise Margin 13.3 db 11.5 db

24th March 2010
      Router at Master Socket
      Connection Speed 19999 kbps 798 kbps
      Noise Margin 6.5 db 12.0 db

Sky did say to monitor it all for a week to see how it goes, so fingers crossed. Well, I'm a happy chappy, as well as lucky! Thanks to everyone that helped get me here. I hope I can return the favour soon.

Cheers

Dumfy

Thanks

my downstream noise margin has halved, but attenuation is consistent. Is this to expected?
      That is to be expected. The attenuation is a fixed figure which will not change unless the condition of your line changes, it is read by a different router, or the mode is changed. The higher the speed you sync at the lower your noise margin will be. Yours is just a little bit low at the moment so you may find that it drops out and resyncs at a slightly lower speed. Nothing to worry about as you will still have an excellent speed. Your Upload could possibly be improved, so it may be worth giving them a ring about that. I would have thought 1Mb+ should not be out of reach. Now that your download has been fixed it is a bit dangerous using email to contact them. If it gets into the wrong hands some idiot may cap your speed back down. With a phone call you have more personal input and can make sure they don't mess around with your download.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast