Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

This is a discussion on Are sky blocking rapidshare.com? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Open the host file with notepad (c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts), and add this line at the very end: 80.239.151.250 rapidshare.com # ssl.rapidshare.com Worked ...

Man_Hunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fairmuir
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

Open the host file with notepad (c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts), and add this line at the very end:

80.239.151.250 rapidshare.com # ssl.rapidshare.com

Worked for me. I can access the site and download as well. Not as fast as it used to be though.

EDIT: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts NOT c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts
      Last edited by Man_Hunt; 02-03-10 at 09:25 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
      Hi,
      I'm having the same problem with Rapidshare and may be able to offer some help/advice.
      Firstly I am a Network Engineer and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, not that I'm boasting but to give you a background into my being able to understand the problem.
      1. I contacted Sky broadband about 45 minutes ago to ask them to do a route trace to Rapidshare, they said they couldnt as using a Lynux system ( so, why cant do a trace ?), and said they are not blocking anyone from any site.
      2. loaded a rout trace and lo and behold the http port 80 ( normal website traffic is being filtered out by a project called "The Filter Project" on Easynet who sky piggyback their connection on to. Losses of connection is between 25% and 100% thats why sometimes you can connect and othertimes not. Using the SSL is probably the easy way round at the moment.
      There is another way though, in the hosts file in \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder add the following to the end of the list and saveit and this will go through to rapidshare without adding the SSL or https in:-

You can download visualroute (a little Gem of a program) and use it free for 15 days from VisualRoute traceroute: connection test, trace IP address, IP trace, IP address locations

I phoned easynet network support up about 20 minutes ago who wouldt talk to me as they say Sky is fobbing me off and Sky need to investigate the problem.

Now the problem is this:-
      Easynet are filtering out (so I have found out in last 15 minutes from friends) certain websites, logitimate or not under the governments incentive to stop pirating software and neither easynet nor sky want to do anything against the governments initiative.

I use Rapidshare for legitimate purposes and now think that I will take this further to the minister for communications after trying sky once more, (not much hope of help because I dont think the Braodband support are 100% up to the job

Problem and solution traced and pinpointed in about 15-20 minutes but not much hope of taking on the governments dictatorship in getting the problem fixed, I think it will only get worse.

Hope this helps.
      Hi Curious...

Could you, or anyone else that knows how, please explain how to edit the Host file in \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder "and add the following to the end of the list and saveit and this will go through to rapidshare without adding the SSL or https in:-

80.239.151.250 rapidshare.com # ssl.rapidshare.com"

I've looked in the folder but don't understand what I need to do to add it to the end of the list. There's no list there - just a few files.

Sorry for being a bit dim

Dumfy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: llanishen
      Broadband ISP: max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now how's that for timing!

Man_Hunt just answered my very question, just as I was posting it!

Spooky. . . .!

stuie_y2k2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Cool Re: Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

Have only registered to start commenting on this thread as have been following for most of the day!! i as well am getting very frustrated now with the whole sky/rapidshare thing now when are they eventually gunna get round to finally fixing it. i dont understand at all why one day it works then other days it decides to play games..grrr!! has finally decided to open now and to top it off my download manager now dosnt want to even download from it.. give up for today me thinks!!

phewww.....rant ova

Edit: Thought id have a quick look at editing the host file via notepad as previously described and it works great!! finally. can leave downloads going and now off to bed!
      Last edited by stuie_y2k2; 02-03-10 at 04:02 AM. Reason: eureka!

gafferuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: SKy+
      Thanks

Hi guys interesting thread, anyone have any updates on this yet i'm at work and cannot get access to Rapidshare to see if its working... used Rapidshare for around 2 years why only Sky subscribers if we are led to believe this is true?

Ps some assistance with the following if someone could put # ssl.rapidshare.comat the ned of the link?

Open the host file with notepad (c:\windows\system\drivers\etc\hosts), and add this line at the very end:

Worked for me. I can access the site and download as well. Not as fast as it used to be though
      Last edited by gafferuk; 02-03-10 at 12:31 PM. Reason: bad grammar:put # ssl.rapidshare.com at the end of the link? would appreciate if someone could explain more on this

gafferuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: SKy+
      Thanks

still dont think i'm making myslef clear.

80.239.151.250 rapidshare.com # ssl.rapidshare.com at the end of what line?

Thanks

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I just emailed sky so hopefully they'll be able to tell us more

I believe something is going on with Sky BB. It's not just this rapidshare thing either, recently I'm finding that You Tube vids and even general surfing in the evening with a 9Mb+ connection is not good. I understand that there are busy times but how come they have only cropped up over the last few weeks and are getting bussier all the time for longer Hmmmm... That brings me back to all the exchange work that has been carried out recently, check it out.. Easynet.net status & maintenance

I mentioned in another post my connection speed has dropped recently by 2Mb, even though noise margins and line attenuation readings are exactly the same (I have screen shots of past readings) It's not the weather either as I have full weather readings inc temp and humidity alongside all my recoreded BB stats (And no I'm not a nutter ) It's for reference when BB situations do occur and you can't seem to get a reasonable explanation

See the stats below? That was my connection before the most recent exchange work was carried out. Now it's 9.1Mb DL and yes that's at the master socket and after the router has been rebooted many times before 10AM.

stuie_y2k2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Hunt View Post

Worked for me. I can access the site and download as well. Not as fast as it used to be though.
      People asking about the above quote. the only thing that is different is that it should be the system32 folder not system as stated in quote.. so to clarify what you need to do is go through my computer to 'c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts' once you can see the file name hosts open it and when requested select notepad to open. add the line:
      onto the next empty space at the bottom of any information that is already saved. when asked to save mine, i was advised that i could not save to this location as i didnt have the correct privileges so what i had to do was save the file temporarily to desktop still under the name 'hosts' and then drag it into the folder myself to give the adminstrator priviliges. hope this helps clear this up!!

wiimii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

All seems to be ok now

Clunk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiimii View Post
      All seems to be ok now
      RS seems OK, but Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test still don't open for me!

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast