Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

This is a discussion on Are sky blocking rapidshare.com? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; megaupload is working at moment...

square eyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

megaupload is working at moment

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gregyh View Post
      They are being removed from the list so i guess the question now is how long it'll take for Sky to refresh their block list and if imagebam, rapidshare, etc. will also be unblocked or not...

ProBoards Support Forum
      With all due respect on that thread, the guy said:

Basically it seems that someone skipped to notifying UK authorities of problem content that was posted without ever contacting us.
      You can hardly blame Sky or the IWF for blocking them then. That is a legitimate block, in my eyes.

I still don't believe any of the other issues are an intentional block, but that is just not what people want to hear.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      With all due respect on that thread, the guy said:

You can hardly blame Sky or the IWF for blocking them then. That is a legitimate block, in my eyes.

I still don't believe any of the other issues are an intentional block, but that is just not what people want to hear.
      Well, I think they should be a little more careful when taking entire websites off-line. If the site itself is legitimate and has a valid takedown policy, I don't think they should jump to blocking access to the entire site.

Would they block YouTube or Facebook for one video or picture? It's quite concerning they make no attempt to determine whether the service itself is legal.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleRules View Post
      Well, I think they should be a little more careful when taking entire websites off-line. If the site itself is legitimate and has a valid takedown policy, I don't think they should jump to blocking access to the entire site.

Would they block YouTube or Facebook for one video or picture? It's quite concerning they make no attempt to determine whether they service itself is legal.
      Yes and no. It could be that the IWF have just added the domain rather than the actual offending URL - Either way it would appear by his comment that no-one approached them anyway to remove the offending URL - I don't think it is Sky's job to ring them or wirte them an email or letter asking the offending site to remove objectionable content. If it appears on the master list, then Sky are surely just doing what is asked of them.

The other issue re take downs etc, that site looks to be huge. So if one URL is reported, unless someone takes the time to read every URL available, what's to say there isn't any more?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

riddellr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanecastle Irvine
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have rapidshare back as of 5 mins ago hope all is well with everyone else

tommy45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Are easynet starting to block access to file hosting sites? :: UK Online :: think broadband

All the affected file hosting sites from the link above are now once again UN-blocked, but for how long remains to be seen as we am sure all are aware this could be anything from several hours to days or even week's and months, i just hope it's not for a very long time
      <a href=http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png target=_blank>http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png</a>

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So that kind of confirms again that Sky are not blocking any sites intentionally. If they were they would not lift the block or fix the problems.

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Yes and no. It could be that the IWF have just added the domain rather than the actual offending URL - Either way it would appear by his comment that no-one approached them anyway to remove the offending URL - I don't think it is Sky's job to ring them or wirte them an email or letter asking the offending site to remove objectionable content. If it appears on the master list, then Sky are surely just doing what is asked of them.
      Indeed, I'm not saying that's Sky's job. The IWF needs to act more responsibly. I doubt anyone here disagrees with their serious job, but with this and the Wikipedia problem, I don't think they understand the Internet as much as they need to. When they're entrusted with such power, they need to know how to use it.

The other issue re take downs etc, that site looks to be huge. So if one URL is reported, unless someone takes the time to read every URL available, what's to say there isn't any more?
      They are huge, and I bet 99% of the forums they host - as a free service - will be legal. That's why they shouldn't take the entire thing down. They should take down the individual forum reported (should have been easy as each forum is on a subdomain) rather than blocking every forum.

They wouldn't have a problem if they contacted ProBoards and had them remove the forum - which, as a legitimate service, they'd do. Proboards would also have been able to report to the police all IPs who used the forum. That's clearly much better than blocking access to thousands of legitimate forums, while the forum is viewable outside the UK and the people behind it go undetected.

I suspect they would take down Facebook, YouTube or ImageShack, for one video or picture. That's quite scary.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Indeed, I'm not saying that's Sky's job. The IWF needs to act more responsibly. I doubt anyone here disagrees with their serious job, but with this and the Wikipedia problem, I don't think they understand the Internet as much as they need to. When they're entrusted with such power, they need to know how to use it.
      Yes I totally agree on that point. The IWF are just like the ICO - imo without the technical know how on how the internet or privacy actually works.

They are huge, and I bet 99% of the forums they host - as a free service - will be legal. That's why they shouldn't take the entire thing down. They should take down the individual forum reported (should have been easy as each forum is on a subdomain) rather than blocking every forum.
      In that case, I concede, I understood it was a forum called pro boards, I didn't check to see what it was in reality. Therefore again I agree, the offending forum should have been pulled.

They wouldn't have a problem if they contacted ProBoards and had them remove the forum - which, as a legitimate service, they'd do. Proboards would also have been able to report to the police all IPs who used the forum. That's clearly much better than blocking access to thousands of legitimate forums.
      Yep again I agree, although what if they tried to find the main geezer and he was on holiday or asleep? Do they leave it until they have contact or do they pull it so it is not available to everyone until pulling it? Catch 22 situation.

I suspect they would take down Facebook, YouTube or ImageShack, for one video or picture. That's quite scary.
      Yep again I agree, although we have no confirmation that that site / domains was blocked by the IWF or Sky - Just the word of a guy who has contacted Sky. Not everytime when I have contacted Sky have I been told the truth.

tommy45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

So that kind of confirms again that Sky are not blocking any sites intentionally. If they were they would not lift the block or fix the problems.
      I wouldn't go as far as saying that, as to the customer it don;t matter if it's down to human error,faulty hardware,or the result of some stupid list from government or the IWF, the fact is all major file hosting sites where all more or less taken out. these are not file sharing sites, there is a difference, they should not of been blocked ,and if this is down to some goofed filter, then they better either replace or repair it,or simply never use it as this ain't on, so far it has affected mainly the file hosts, but it also has affected other sites forums,blogs and a speedtest site, where does it stop?
      if so far you have been unaffected by this blocking then so far you have been lucky, but that could well change in the future if this ain't fixed properly
      <a href=http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png target=_blank>http://www.speedtest.net/result/754463629.png</a>

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast