Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

This is a discussion on Are sky blocking rapidshare.com? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Here's a solution that works for me. Edit the hosts file. This pre-empts the DNS lookup. Bear in mind that ...

netwiz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

Here's a solution that works for me. Edit the hosts file. This pre-empts the DNS lookup. Bear in mind that if RS changes its IP address, then this will stop working, so don't forget you've done it, as you'd then need to undo it.

In Windows, open notepad (in Windows 7 right click and open as administrator).
      File open
      Change filetype to *.*
      Navigate to windows\system32\drivers\etc
      open 'hosts'

add these two lines at the end of the file

195.122.131.46 rapidshare.com
      195.122.131.46 RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

2. Advertisement
      murphy0207 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

found a workaround on another site to access rapidshare at least, simply add an s to http/ in the link to the file you want to download, so https/ simples......

Alavana is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: MAX
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If Rapidshare changes its address, presumably it would need to be edited with the new information.

Would you please kindly say how you locate this new information?
      How did you find out that right now it needs to be edited with the following?

Maybe there is a specific piece of software that you need to install?

Thanks.

lidad66 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

rapidshare is still out for me started on friday 19th never had a problem before trying some of the workarounds but at the mo i cant get any rapidshare files to work .. anyone else still out ..

just got as file to work using the info from netwiz .. thanks m8

netwiz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alavana View Post
      If Rapidshare changes its address, presumably it would need to be edited with the new information.

Would you please kindly say how you locate this new information?
      How did you find out that right now it needs to be edited with the following?

Maybe there is a specific piece of software that you need to install?

Thanks.
      If they do change the IP address, then you won't be able to access the site without either removing this entry in the hosts file, or changing it to the new IP address. To find that address you can do a ping (open a command window, and type "ping rapidshare.com"), or find a website that will do a reverse dns lookup.

Also, I note that the Sky bulletin board has changed my entry. What I posted was
      195.122.131.46 "www.rapid$hare.com"

without the quotes on the second line, and with an S instead of the dollar. Rather unhelpfully, the bulletin board seems to turn it into an advert that messes up the text I posted.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by murphy0207 View Post
      i disagree, i cannot access rapidshare or megaupload..
      If you look again at my post you will see that that this part was in bold-
      "sky is slow at the best of time Iplayer is crippled at times"
      That is what I was referring to. Sky is not slow for most users, if you find it is, then something is wrong with your connection or you are a very long way from the exchange. If you only want to whinge, that is fine, but if you want help, do as I suggest.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Felt like I had to send a complaint to Sky this time around regarding Rapidshare access etc, as this has been going on for ages now. Whatever the problem is.. it needs resolving...

Me:.....Hi Sky, Could you please advise as to why I and many others Sky users can't access the RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting website again please? I have recently extended my premium account at Rapidshare as I store a lot of my large format photography images there, however at present this is costing me money for a service that Sky customers can't access.

Please advise,

Many Thanks

Sky Technical:..... Sky are currently aware that customers are experiencing problems connecting to certain websites and this has been sent to our network engineers for investigation and resolution.

Your patience is appreciated whilst this is ongoing.

Kind regards

Sky Help Centre

Adam2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi all

Enough is enough with sky now I think. I have been with their broadband since they first started and have patiently put up with all the problems along the way. They have increased what I pay by £5 because I don't want to take their phone, then they cut my useage allowance from 40Gb to 10Gb and then forced me to upgrade for yet another £5 a month (when i'm still well within the 40Gb I originally signed up for!). On a bad month I spent £20 in call charges to their technical helplines and have had my router replaced witha refurbished piece of junk that has to be rebooted about 3 times a day. Until now, I have keep it all in.

Now they are blocking file transfer sites, this is a last straw. How else are you meant to securely transfer work with other work colegues around the world ?. Somebody else I know is on the sky base package and is able to access all the sites we can not - it seems only the sky max is affected.

We are living in a day and age (especially in a recession) where the consumers decide which companies thrive and which suffer. If they are not going to treat us properly as customers then a mass walkout is in order. There are plently of smaller companies desperate for our business and to prove their worth.

A mass ISP switch is in order!

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

They're not actually blocking the sites, though. Nobody at Sky HQ, least of all any of the Murdoch clan, said "No more file sharing for you" and pulled access. There's a technical fault that is affecting more than just file sharing websites. A combination of those sites being very popular, and a bias in favour of those sites using the Level3 network, makes it look like it's all about file sharing.

Whether it'd be worth leaving because of incompetence in running their networks, perhaps. That said, I've had issues like this with other ISPs.

Alavana is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: MAX
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

A mass request for a MAC (migration codes) might start alarm bells ringing, though nothing will have a dramatic effect as the final nail in Sky`s coffin!

For me, Sky provide a good speed and a reliable internet connection.
      I am all for jumping ship over this issue but not before I do my homework on what else is out there in terms of speed and reliability (and problem-free access to these sites.)

I`m giving Sky until the end of April to sort this out, if the problem still remains, then I will have lost another full month of my Rapidshare Premium membership but I will feel better knowing they were given ample time to address issues and failed their customers.
      Since 2004, Sky does not support Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast