Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

This is a discussion on Are sky blocking rapidshare.com? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by NewsreadeR I absolutely take on board what you are saying and as per the IWF I would ...

tommy45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I absolutely take on board what you are saying and as per the IWF I would also absolutely agree that any ISP should be using that list and filtering the content etc - there's no issue with that.

As for the homepage, that bit just doesn't make sense, unless as you suggest the filtering is to pot at Sky/Easynet/Ukonline or a genuine human error has been made by not inputting the correct URLs from the IWF

If an error had been made on the URLs then the fact that people can get to RS now and it appears to be working, would indicate that the relevant steps have been taken to correct any human error.

No matter what though, and people can disagree with me or not, I do not believe it was done intentionally (if at all) and if this was the case, was a genuine error on the behalf of the person who did the inputting of the IWF filtering / URLs or indeed the list given just had the RS URL on it and no sub domains etc

If it was the IWF that triggered this off, it is reassuring to know that your ISP has acted on it, and stopped any potential people stumbling upon anything unsavoury, for which I applaud them. There's censorship and theres stopping potential people from viewing things that ain't nice.

As I said all along though, I don't believe Sky are guilty of censorship, a cockup or two, yes most definitely.
      I have read that they filter sites by passing them through a proxy, and some sites don't reliably use x-forwarded-for. whatever that is? but thats how they do it, hence the problems we have been having on and off for years, and will keep on having unless they change the way they do it, or we use vpn service ect to simply circumvent it all, just as the sad pedo's probably do,
      that is also another sad but true fact it does not achieve it's goal, but if they IWF and rs and any file hosting site co-operated then the need for this proxy filtering would be negated, except in rare cases, that would be more effective and non disruptive to everyone else

2. Advertisement
      tommy45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCSOU
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philipy View Post
      I can now access RS, but for some reason i cant use InternetDownloadManager to download my files. It downloads HTML files instead. before i could highlight a couple of RS links and download with IDM. anyone else having problems with IDM? is there any alternative software that lets you batch download rapidshare links in the present situation?

i believe it has started to do this ever since RS started working again today.
      that is because it still is being filtered by easynet( sky )network, all traffic to and from are going though a proxy, that is why the download managers are'nt working the rs one is a no go also, did you try putting https adding the s ?
      if that don't work then it's maybe stopping it loggin in if you have a premium account

Man_Hunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fairmuir
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philipy View Post
      I can now access RS, but for some reason i cant use InternetDownloadManager to download my files. It downloads HTML files instead. before i could highlight a couple of RS links and download with IDM. anyone else having problems with IDM? is there any alternative software that lets you batch download rapidshare links in the present situation?

i believe it has started to do this ever since RS started working again today.
      I use IDM and I can highlight the links and download them no problem.
      Maybe you are logged off from your premium account?

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I use Candisoft Load.

Works very well.

dog-man

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Just received an email from Sky regarding the Rapidshare issue which I sent quite a few days ago when the issue was ongoing, this is following the initial mail and the form filling bit. Here's how it went....

My E'Mail - Hi Sky, I have filled in my results on the form but.. Please note!!!... There is nothing wrong with my connection to the internet. I just have not been able to connect to the following websites (below) for a week or so, or the connection is extremely slow leading to many HTTP500 errors. This is affecting All Sky users on LLU not just me. This is particularly annoying as I have just signed up for a further 12 month Rapidshare account as I use them to host my websites larger photography images.

http://www.speedtest.net/ | RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting | MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

NOTE.. Please see the Sky user forums where many other are reporting problems.... Are sky blocking rapidshare.com?

Many Thanks

Sky's Reply...

Dear Mr ********

Thank you for your email in regards to you being unable to access the rapidshare website.

There are no known issue with this website. However if you switch your router off then reconnect it after 30 minutes this might resolve the issue because your router will then be picking up a different ip address.

I trust this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Technical team on 08442 411 411, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Last edited by orbiter; 04-03-10 at 04:23 PM.

bl!p is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Peters
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Did anyone get a response from speedtest as to why their site's been affected too?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It appears this link speedtest.com is incorrect it should be Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

The problem with the speedtest site may have been unrelated. It gives some really inconsistent results and would be no loss if it went off permanently.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It appears this link speedtest.com is incorrect it should be Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

The problem with the speedtest site may have been unrelated. It gives some really inconsistent results and would be no loss if it went off permanently.
      Corrected

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

If it was affecting ALL LLU Sky customers I think we'd have a lot more people kicking off and not just you and dog-man...and the emails get answered by tier 1, you're better calling
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I have seen numerous complaints on other boards about this and ALL are sky LLU subscribers. Not all sky LLU subscribers know about this site or use RS.

It seems to be fixed for me now. Today is ok, yesterday was ok also.

dog-man

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast