Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sudden drop in Sky Broadband Speed

This is a discussion on Sudden drop in Sky Broadband Speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If you are getting the same noise margin drops in the TEST socket then you have an external line fault. ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sudden drop in Sky Broadband Speed

If you are getting the same noise margin drops in the TEST socket then you have an external line fault.

Plug in a standard phone into the TEST socket, press a number and listen for any noise, crackles or pops. If you get them then report it to whoever you pay the line rental too, do not mention BB if it is BT as that will confuse the issue.

2. Advertisement
      BrigadierA is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ramsgate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HB 1TB Box
      Thanks

After checking on the internet, it sounds like it's impossible to have a Noise Margin of 1.3 (which it currently is), so I'm assuming that my router is just not reporting it correctly. I'm not going to restart it at the moment as it's still working fine.

Do you think I should contact Sky to get a replacement router?
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      www.HorrorDVD.co.uk
      The Best and Worst Horror Films Reviewed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If you are getting the same noise margin drops in the TEST socket then you have an external line fault.

Plug in a standard phone into the TEST socket, press a number and listen for any noise, crackles or pops. If you get them then report it to whoever you pay the line rental too, do not mention BB if it is BT as that will confuse the issue.
      Thanks Smithy99, I just dug out my old standard phone on the line (not the test socket yet) and it sounds perfect - no noise at all. I'm not daring to do the test socket again yet as it's working perfectly (other than the weird reported noise margin). P.S. Everything is managed by Sky - line rental too.
      www.HorrorDVD.co.uk

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Your router could be right with the noise margin, I have seen many on here that say they can hold a sync with 1-2db.

You may want to install the monitoring software (Netmeter below) just to track your noise margin for a few days to see when what and if it has a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      Your router could be right with the noise margin, I have seen many on here that say they can hold a sync with 1-2db.

You may want to install the monitoring software (Netmeter below) just to track your noise margin for a few days to see when what and if it has a problem.
      Thanks again Smithy99, just seems a little strange when I couldn't keep a connection with a noise margin below 7.0db when I moved to the Unlimited service and now it's running fine at around 1.3-1.4db. Maybe something has been changed on my line.

Wish I'd noticed that Netmeter tool before! It's really useful!!
      www.HorrorDVD.co.uk

Thanks

ARGH!!! Last night we had a power cut (seem to be quite frequent at the moment). The last one was just before I started having all my trouble with my broadband. Anyway, when the power came back on the router didn't. I had to unplug it, wait 30 secs and then plug it back in again. It connected again, but at the following stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3783 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 db 28.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 12.0 db

I went to bed, but upon trying to use the internet today it's gone slow again like before. The noise margin appears to have gone up from 0.9db where it was perfectly stable to 7.1db where I'm now down to erratic speeds:

We have detected that your ISP is Sky. Your download speed is 720Kbps. Your upload speed is 256Kbps.

I'm resigned to having to switch everything off again at the weekend and restarting everything one by one (which worked last time), but I'm still thinking it might be the router. I have another exactly the same router in the attic, just not a Sky supplied one. I'm thinking about setting this up with the Sky settings and seeing if that works better. Is there any problems with doing this?
      www.HorrorDVD.co.uk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I have another exactly the same router in the attic, just not a Sky supplied one. I'm thinking about setting this up with the Sky settings and seeing if that works better. Is there any problems with doing this?
      It is certainly worth a try. With the erratic speeds you have been getting it may be your router that is on the blink. If you do have the DG834GT, download the Sky Router tool from the link at the bottom of my sig. It has many very useful tools, not he least off which the ability to get your password with one click. The most important thing you need to use another router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Cheers. I'll dig it out and use the tool you suggested. It is a DG834GT that I used with Pipex before moving to Sky.
      www.HorrorDVD.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12