Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

capped??

This is a discussion on capped?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi, im on unlimited and have had very little issues but today i looked at the router to see ADSL ...

irradiated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

capped??

hi, im on unlimited and have had very little issues but today i looked at the router to see
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6139 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47 db 26 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 15 db
      now its usually 7000 odd with 932 upload. its ALWAYS been like that yet no amount of rebooting, switching off the router changes these settings even though the noise margin is above 7 db
      when this happened in nov last year there was some sort of line management on my line and it was instantly turned off and everything back to normal. i have zero connection/stability issues so why have they done this to me again?
      i phoned tech support who told me i have too many active connections ( cmd prompt netstat ) which i couldnt help but laugh at, where do they find these people?
      he wouldnt put me through to either his supervisor or the next level of support and could only keep saying its my pc?? how the heck can my pc lock settings into the router yet he couldnt grasp what i was saying and after 37 minutes i gave up
      how can i get to the next level of support so i can find somebody who knows what their talking about, is there another phone number i can use? i used 08442 410 515

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: capped??

I would try the test socket if you haven't already done so, to rule out any internal wiring problem.

Thanks

sorry forgot to mention im in the test socket, i usually use an adsl faceplate but ive tried both to be sure
      i only have the router and 1 phone connected to the main box, nothing else connected, no extensions or anything

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you have to go through the T1 support, answer ALL their questions and then you go to CST if the questions asked dictate it. Now it looks like you're on adsl2+ and perhaps it's not the best for your line. Having said that, does it actually make a difference?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

ive been on adsl2 since they enabled our exchange, ive always had 7000+ kbps download and 732 up, then in october they upgraded the exchange and i had exactly the same issue then until i got to a knowledgeable support guy who got the blocking removed. my speeds have always been what ive quoted and always been steady and reliable so why have they done this to me again?

Thanks

Who says they've done anything? Just cause you line stats change doesn't mean Sky have touched it. could be line conditions changing, could be you rebooted in the evening and so gave you a lower sync. could be DLM is running. Who knows.

Fair enough, call Sky but don't assume they've done anything until you actually know...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

if you ask them to put you on ADSL1 you may see 8Mb or close to that with that line, your line may just not like ADSL2+ sometimes they don't even lines that you would have thought would like it don't.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

you have to go through the T1 support, answer ALL their questions and then you go to CST if the questions asked dictate it
      That is all very well, but when the agent equates netstat connections to the router sync speed, what can you do. This should be a lesson to anyone, if you are concerned with router stats and they ask you to do a netstat, wait a couple of minutes then tell them you have six. They are using the netstat trick to fob off users, many who don't know better probably fall for it and think their PC is at fault.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

but when you get people saying they've got like 30 with nothing open then it's a valid question

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

but when you get people saying they've got like 30 with nothing open then it's a valid question
      It would not matter if there were 300, it would not effect the router sync speed, which is what I referred to. Through put is a different question, there too many connections can have an effect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast