Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

capped??

This is a discussion on capped?? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i had 11 open, i shut my popcorn player and it dropped to 5, neither is too many imho @iwasnottheenemy, ...

irradiated is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: workington
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: capped??

i had 11 open, i shut my popcorn player and it dropped to 5, neither is too many imho

@iwasnottheenemy, maybe i havent explained properly, when it happend in october the guy i spoke to put me on hold and then whilst he talked to somebody my stats suddenly increased after being locked for 2 days, he told me they had locked them for stability even though i had zero issues with stability for the previous 12 months. i have irc running 24/7 and have very few dropouts which this proggy would show.
      the stats my router is now showing are EXACTLY the same as last time, i wrote these down sorry if im geeky but i dont forget such things
      since october they fluctuate as they are supposed to, virtually everytime i reboot the router i would see a difference in download speed but NEVER a diference in upload, always 932 so why now has it stayed the same, my noise margin differs so therefore my downstream should also differ

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It would not matter if there were 300, it would not effect the router sync speed, which is what I referred to. Through put is a different question, there too many connections can have an effect.
      thats what i tried to tell the tech support guy

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The reason/problem with agents asking to do netstat is this:

Sky have pretty conservative measures on what lines can handle and a lot of the time users would be syncing well above what sky suggest the line can support. If you get through to a script happy tier 1, then it'll get to the question:

Is the customer's sync speed higher than what the dsl check states the line can handle?

- Yes
      - No

Obviously then yes leads the script to think it's a throughput issue and netstat is the next question (unless it has been changed... I haven't seen it in a long time!). Tier one cannot see SNRs etc., but on the other hand they can see the max attainable downstream that could be pushed on the line. I suppose if you got a more tenured tier 1, they'd put two and two together to realise the line can push out more according to max attainable figures.

In regards to the OP, you have been moved to adsl2+ which will give you a slightly slower speed it would seem for your line. A move back to g.dmt and uncapping would probably give you back what you had - albeit, not a massive increase. Why it has been changed/capped is anyones' guess, really. You could ring back and hopefully get through to someone more experienced.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

you might not be capped ive also noticed with my connection my upload and i think my download also reduced could be interference or a wire problem

pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

in all fairness there really isnt a big diffrence in your stats
      ring them up and explain to them that you want it configured manually i did this it stopped all drop outs and increased my downstream and upstream
      like many others said line conditions change do you have any extensions if yes is the ring wire in, remove it that can also cause interference ive also heard that the street lights can cause some

Thanks

no extensions, just 1 digital phone and the router are connected to the main box
      right now there connected to the test socket but it made no difference
      they have deff fixed my line speeds for whatever reason and its not right imho, unmetered unrestricted is what they offer
      i never get through a whole day without a change in my downstream yet all day today its fixed so its their interference thats caused this and hopefully ill get to the bottom of it tom/monday depending on when i can get through to a sensible support person
      im sorry but when somebody suggests its a virus on my pc that locks the routers speed i cannot entertain them, honestly its like talking to a fool. how they can be called tech support is beyond me i'm no expert but then again im not supposed to be

btw ive been on adsl2 since 2008

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irradiated View Post
      btw ive been on adsl2 since 2008
      I mean specifically the line code adsl2plus. You may have previously been on g.dmt, which would lower your attenuation slightly and thus let you push out a little more speed. It seems that DLM has re-ran for whatever reason it felt it had to and changed the line code to adsl2plus and capped you to a stable speed. This is complete guess work because as said previously, this could be down to numerous things, but it would seem the most plausible. Other than that, I would suggest line degradation or conditions changing as the next explanation.

Thanks

well eventually i got through to the SVBN dept and to somebody who talked sense. seems ive actually been on DLM since nov last year but they havent got a clue as to what happened yesterday but could clearly see how much overall download speed i'd lost so they manually set it a little higher but vastly improved my upload speed so im very happy with his help.
      he just laughed when i told him id been told it was either a virus or too many connections that caused the router to freeze my stats and he apologized for their error
      i really think sky need to retrain their level 1 support or supply them with different cue cards

pugwash is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sedgley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

there are a few decent ones in tier one i normaly got an idiot who dont speak english very well but recently they been quite clever English or Scottish men who know what they are on about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12