Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Recent 'timing-out' problems

This is a discussion on Recent 'timing-out' problems within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Recently, I've experienced an increasing number of occasions where websites fail to load the first time I try. Firefox gives ...

philbrown is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fareham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Recent 'timing-out' problems

Recently, I've experienced an increasing number of occasions where websites fail to load the first time I try.
      Firefox gives me a 'Server Not Found' message (I think IE used to say 'Connection Timed Out'). On refreshing the page, 9 times out of 10 the page will load.

I also sometimes find the connection very slow to load pages on some occasions. I can see the router from where I sit, and the wireless and onternet activity lights don't blink at all, while Firefox is loading the page. After a number of seconds, the router activity lights start responding, and the page loads. Again, on some occasions, attempting to reload the page will cause it to come up almost straight away.

This is only been I problem I've noticed recently. I've tried a number of router resets, yet although it seems to solve the problem for a while, it soon returns.

Is anyone else having this problem with Sky Broadband? I'm loathed to phone up support, as you have to run through their script of diagnosis attempts, most of which I've already attempted, and this problem is very off and on.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Recent 'timing-out' problems

Post your router stats from the current location and also the test socket. It would also be wise to try another ADSL filter and ensure that any other used sockest also have them.

jjohnson1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rownhams, Southampton, Hampshire
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

greets,

can confirm i am having issues in the last week or so with very poor download speeds (lass than half of what im used to) and frequent failing to connect messages. Also in the router the sky test frequently fails also.

Its pretty coincidental that we are both having this problem only being 15/20 miles from eachother.

James

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

It is not a Sky wide problem otherwise you would get many more people on here complaining, considering there will be 1000's of people in your 15-20 mile radius, two people having issues (which are not even the same, one the router locks and the other is speed etc) is bound to happen.

jjohnson1980 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rownhams, Southampton, Hampshire
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I dont believe i suggested it was sky wide problem merely that i was wondering if it was a localised one..

The symptoms are also quite similar to mine, whereby we have both said speed issues and connections timing out which leads me to guess that the problem could be more dns related since as the first poster said that it is an irregular problem and results in timeouts.

Any ideas anyone?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try using the free OpenDNS servers.
      OpenDNS > Use OpenDNS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.