Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try.

This is a discussion on Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello there all. My family has been signed up to Sky for 2 and a half years. In the last ...

Brittany is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try.

Hello there all. My family has been signed up to Sky for 2 and a half years. In the last 4 months, we decided to choose their Max package. We had had so, so many problems at that point at which their customer support seemed almost too incompetent to even begin to comprehend what was happening.

It eventually began to run at a substantial speed. HD Videos *almost* streamed on Youtube, and we stuck to their contract's usage allowance.

Last week we recieved a message telling us we had allowed a 'spambot' through to our computer. And to follow a group of steps. After several calls throughout the week to their customer support, who seemed none the wiser. We finally decided to tell a white lie, to test their theory. So if we had a spambot. It would automatically start re-emitting heavy duty spam and we would be cut off instantly again, right? Wrong. We told them that we had reset our computers and followed their unnecessary demands, and our internet flashed back on, without problem. So I guess our spambot magically disappeared after that week of downtime.

We've came back on to this service to find a *horifically* slow excuse for 'Max', with our download speed varying between 0.3-0.5mb/s where our router claims a solid 4.0mb/s connection is available.

I'm not one to fall under the category 'ignorant'. There's something dirty afoot with Sky's little experiment with our household. Perhaps my downloading at the maximum their contract allowed angered them? Their arguments made no sense, and we appear to still be at the frontline of their (what I would deem) illegal plucking apart of our monthly contract.

If anyone can suggest any way to improve speeds remotely, I would be very grateful. Otherwise, I guess we'll finally be making the switch to the ever so slightly more competant Virgin Media.

Thank you, guys!
      - Brittany (A very angry, internet dependent teenager.)

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try.

need stats to comment further...see THIS
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      need stats to comment further...see THIS
      System Up Time: 00:29:29

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 61577 70795 0 2864 35200 00:28:56
      LAN 100M/Full 140 0 0 9 0 00:29:24
      WLAN 11M/54M 71293 62184 0 35628 2906 00:29:12
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3776 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 49 db 30 db
      Noise Margin 9 db 7 db

- Erm. Not sure if that worked out well. Will try and get a picture if needed.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Can you do the same but this time woth the router connected to the TEST socket:- How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Thanks

If you were cut off for a bot then it's legit - the only reason they turned it back on is cause you've told them so. If you still have it, it will happen again in the future.

Regarding speed, Sky don't limit your speed on their LLU connections so it could be a virus actually saturating your connection. Also, are you testing speeds over a wired connection to rule out wireless?

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you haven't formatted your network, then you can more than likely expect another bit of downtime when the infection starts spamming bulk e-mails again. It will signal up a grade 2 abuse on sky's system and you'll have to send a letter or fax to sky to confirm that you've formatted this time - you cannot just tell them over the phone when this happens twice.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

with our download speed varying between 0.3-0.5mb/s where our router claims a solid 4.0mb/s connection is available.
      I think you may be getting mixed up with connection speed and download speed. Your connection speed as posted (3776kbps) will allow you to download at a rate of 0.4Mb/s or 410Kb/s, which appears to be what your are getting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

@Brittany If you are on the Max/Unlimited package, then there is no download limits. You can download as much as you want in a month.

However, if you have a Spambot on your computer, and a complaint is received by Sky which is traced to your connection, then your service will be suspended.

If you have not cleared your computer, and they have turned your connection back on, then it is only a matter of time before another complaint is made that is traced to your connection. This will mean that you get grade 2 suspension.

The only way to get rid of a grade 2 suspension is to provide evidence (receipt or engineers report) that a technician has formatted your computer. They won't accept your word that you've done it yourself.

So, my advice is that you sort it yourself now, rather than have to pay out for a techie to do it.

With regards to your speed, when your connection was turned back on, it triggered DLM most likely. Your connection is stuck at 3776kbps, which is something that happens to some lines that are configured for 4096kbps.

You need to call up Sky and ask for DLM to be removed, as this should improve your connection speed, even if it is only so that it connected at 4096kbps instead of 3776kbps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay. I'll provide more information. I'm very good at tracing this kind of stuff. I know the characteristics that are displayed from any form of virus/trojan. All 3 of our computers show none of these signs. No network/CPU usage is shown at any point other than when I do something.

I'm very serious when I say this is on Sky's end. And no. I'm not recieving 410kb of data through per second. I'm recieving 40kb. When i say MB it means megabit, not megabyte.

I don't care what Sky have been telling me. Their explanations are thin, shoddy, and very badly thought out as to the issues at hand, which leads me to believe that they honestly have an alterior motive towards this chain of events.

Never mind. Thank you for your help, guys, but it's pretty clear to me that if they're going to provide a terrible product of which is poorly maintained, and does not live up to it's contract agreements, then we will have to search for a reliable service.

Thanks

You obviously don't care in what anyone here says. Sky don't just suspend an account for the hell of it - if you're flagged for a virus, you've got a virus. End of!

Regarding speeds, it could be down to using wireless, it could be someone running a files sharing programme in the background saturating the connection, it could be anything! If you want to go elsewhere then go ahead, but the issue will likely follow you to your next ISP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast