Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try.

This is a discussion on Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay. I'm gonna be honest. When it comes to the internet, I *know* what I'm doing. None of my network ...

Brittany is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Well, this has gone far enough, and this is my final try.

Okay. I'm gonna be honest. When it comes to the internet, I *know* what I'm doing.

None of my network is being utilized. I've tried each separate PC and all yield the same speeds when the others are turned off. All I know is it's awfully slow. We've tried the standard crap they always tell us. Change the filter, move the router, do this, do that, do the other.

And I don't have a virus. Otherwise I would've damn well noticed with the layers of PC protection, and general awareness of the way these things operate in relation to the computer.

What they did to us was *illogical* they sent us a letter. Then shut off our internet 3 days later. Their letter didn't even have a barcode that they *always* have when dealing with customers. And 4 days later, it's funny, that the horrible SpamBot on my PC has complete vanished into thin air, and they have yet to send another letter, nor have they shut off our internet for a minute. They've just left it horribly *horribly* slow.

I ask for this help not because I expect a quick, easy answer, but because I expect an answer that doesn't rely on *me* as the perpetrator of the issue in the first place. I'm fed up of having to deal with customer service people who have no idea what they are talking about, and I'm fed up of being fobbed off by a group that on one call tells me a fib, on the other tells me a fib, and on the other hangs up when I've been put on hold for 40 minutes.

It's why I want to switch to Virgin, but I'm honestly not wanting to do so considering Sky offer (in theory) a good service, for less price. However if it means actually RECIEVING that service, then I'm willing to pay a bit more.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
      I'm fed up of having to deal with customer service people who have no idea what they are talking about
      I work for sky customer solutions. Albeit, the chances of myself talking to you are slim as I'm 'escalations', if you will, but to brand all of sky's customer services with the same brush is just silly. Furthermore, suggesting that sky have deliberately cut off your service without any reason to do so is just absurd. If sky have suspended your MAC address, then it's due to a computer on your network sending spam e-mails and using a lot of bandwidth. It's as simple as that.

You've lied to sky about formatting your network and thus you are complaining of slow throughput speeds. Your sync speed is fine and I doubt you're building many errors or CRCs as you are on g.dmt at the moment. The infection, as already suggested, may be killing your throughput. I can't see any other explanation if it was fine before hand if you're connecting via ethernet.

I don't mean to come across as abrupt, but I have this type of customer from time to time who believes everything is on sky's end. The fact is that sky do not suspend MAC addresses for the fun of it - it is for a reason. You may know about networking and such, and I appreciate that fact - but something is not right and YOU need to fix it on your end. If not, then a grade 2 abuse will be flagged soon enough and the MAC suspended again. This time you'll have to send a letter or fax in to confirm formatting the network and then the MAC will be unsuspended again.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Ditto, I was CST for 3 years and know what I'm on about.

Best thing is to get a PC away from your network over and try that, if not already. There was another thread somewhere saying the router was affecting throughput as well, so trying another router may help to prove where the issue is.

As said, though, if you've been flagged for a virus then you've got one. Just cause you can't 'see' it doesn't mean it's not there.
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Brittany is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      I work for sky customer solutions. Albeit, the chances of myself talking to you are slim as I'm 'escalations', if you will, but to brand all of sky's customer services with the same brush is just silly. Furthermore, suggesting that sky have deliberately cut off your service without any reason to do so is just absurd. If sky have suspended your MAC address, then it's due to a computer on your network sending spam e-mails and using a lot of bandwidth. It's as simple as that.

You've lied to sky about formatting your network and thus you are complaining of slow throughput speeds. Your sync speed is fine and I doubt you're building many errors or CRCs as you are on g.dmt at the moment. The infection, as already suggested, may be killing your throughput. I can't see any other explanation if it was fine before hand if you're connecting via ethernet.

I don't mean to come across as abrupt, but I have this type of customer from time to time who believes everything is on sky's end. The fact is that sky do not suspend MAC addresses for the fun of it - it is for a reason. You may know about networking and such, and I appreciate that fact - but something is not right and YOU need to fix it on your end. If not, then a grade 2 abuse will be flagged soon enough and the MAC suspended again. This time you'll have to send a letter or fax in to confirm formatting the network and then the MAC will be unsuspended again.
      Well. I just set up my PC again with a separate operating system running from a secondary partition on my hard drive. There is *no* increase in broadband speed whatsoever. I've tried wired. wireless. reset the router. reset it with Sky software, and still, the problem is still here.

I don't blame Sky for having 'no' reason. I think whatever reason they have, they got it wrong. The man over the phone was happy to admit that Sky in the past had misjudged certain internet communications, and had cut off 'innocent' people.

I feel that honestly at this point, Sky *are* the problem. I can think of nothing else within my physical limits that I can do on this end (I even tried the 'remote chance' things.) to improve the issues posed.

Thank you all for your time and help but at this point I think I'm going to carry out our families inevitable switch to Virgin after the past few years of what I would honestly deem a terrible, terrible service. (After all, having our connection speed cut in 1/8th maybe 10 times in the last few years isn't exactly fair usage.)

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

You'll find Virgin a LOT worse in terms of traffic shaping - say goodbye to streaming vidoes/music/etc...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Netgeezer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
      Well. I just set up my PC again with a separate operating system running from a secondary partition on my hard drive. There is *no* increase in broadband speed whatsoever. I've tried wired. wireless. reset the router. reset it with Sky software, and still, the problem is still here.

I don't blame Sky for having 'no' reason. I think whatever reason they have, they got it wrong. The man over the phone was happy to admit that Sky in the past had misjudged certain internet communications, and had cut off 'innocent' people.

I feel that honestly at this point, Sky *are* the problem. I can think of nothing else within my physical limits that I can do on this end (I even tried the 'remote chance' things.) to improve the issues posed.

Thank you all for your time and help but at this point I think I'm going to carry out our families inevitable switch to Virgin after the past few years of what I would honestly deem a terrible, terrible service. (After all, having our connection speed cut in 1/8th maybe 10 times in the last few years isn't exactly fair usage.)
      You'll be on a hiding to nothing with Virgin - their traffic shaping policy is dire, and if you have indeed got a SpamBot running on your network they'll have you down in no time flat.

You complain about Sky having no reason to cut you off but do you know "how" Sky make that decision? They'll be using fairly sophisticated automation to detect the abuse and it is only fair to everyone else that they do take you down if you are generating this specific traffic. They are not looking at how much you send down your line but exactly what it is that you're sending. The SpamBot traffic has a very easily identifiable profile, so if they say you're infected then you are. As someone else said earlier "end of".

Suggestion - get your router's stats page up, the one that updates dynamically, and watch the counters for traffic being sent out to Sky from your router. You may have to do this a few times because your PCs may not have been triggered by the SpamBot controller to start sending at that particular time. Perhaps make a note of the counters in the evening and then ensure no comms apps are running on any of the PCs, leave them all turned on, and check again in the morning or later in the day. Supposing that the SpamBot controller triggers your SpamBots then you will see remarkable increases in the counters going out. That should be proof positive to you as a self-proclaimed expert on Internet stuff.

As others have said - if you just jump to Virgin, or anyone else, without tracking down what it is Sky have seen in your LAN then you're just jumping out of the fat and into the fire. You may even find the new ISP will permanently cease your service for abuse within its early life contract terms.

Better, I think, to work with Sky than get all snotty against it.
      It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
      [Albert Einstein]

ADSL Nation XF-1e filter - the dogs nuts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12